Advice and Opinions about Drumming

jeffwj

Platinum Member
I found this page from one of the drum teachers back in Pennsylvania where I grew up. His name is Billy Angelo Stella. Although I never met him, I have heard some great things about him. His page has some great advice and some opinions that some may agree or disagree with. I thought it would be worthwhile to post since he has a great outlook and an obvious love for drumming.

http://www.billyangelostella.com/play.html

Jeff

Last edited:
Just some things I want to highlight.

"Always be sure to have a practice pad handy to keep your fingers, wrists, and hands in top shape. A
Drum set is fine, but a practice pad with metal warm-up Drum sticks is a key ingredient for
staying in top form. Every big-time Drummer knows this. It is common knowledge. Always
practice your Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Quads."

While I agree with the practice pad, I don't agree with the metal sticks, and I highly doubt that every big-time drummer supports this method of thinking either.

"Once you establish the brand and style you like, be sure to have six pair of Drum sticks every time
you practice. Professional Drummers carry 12 to 24 pair of Drums sticks with them for each
gig. Me, I have 36 pair at each gig with seven to eight pair in my Gibraltar Drum stick holder and the
rest in my stick bag. Once you find the brand, size, and style you are happy and content with, NEVER
change - Brand, Size, or Style (unless the company stops making the stick). It will throw your
playing right off."

Buying 36 pairs of sticks is out of my budget, and having 8 pairs in your stick holder seems to point towards a propensity to stick-dropping.

Other than those 2 points I highly enjoyed it. Some wisdom, and some fun in the quotes.

Just some things I want to highlight.

"Always be sure to have a practice pad handy to keep your fingers, wrists, and hands in top shape. A
Drum set is fine, but a practice pad with metal warm-up Drum sticks is a key ingredient for
staying in top form. Every big-time Drummer knows this. It is common knowledge. Always
practice your Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Quads."

While I agree with the practice pad, I don't agree with the metal sticks, and I highly doubt that every big-time drummer supports this method of thinking either.

"Once you establish the brand and style you like, be sure to have six pair of Drum sticks every time
you practice. Professional Drummers carry 12 to 24 pair of Drums sticks with them for each
gig. Me, I have 36 pair at each gig with seven to eight pair in my Gibraltar Drum stick holder and the
rest in my stick bag. Once you find the brand, size, and style you are happy and content with, NEVER
change - Brand, Size, or Style (unless the company stops making the stick). It will throw your
playing right off."

Buying 36 pairs of sticks is out of my budget, and having 8 pairs in your stick holder seems to point towards a propensity to stick-dropping.

Other than those 2 points I highly enjoyed it. Some wisdom, and some fun in the quotes.

Yeah, I don't agree with the metal stick thing or using the same stick model forever.

Back