Advise On Amp Please

RickyRosario

I'm buying this package soon:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx562k-electronic-drum-set-complete-drum-bundle.html

However, the bundle comes with the following:

Yamaha MS40-DR Electronic Drum Personal Monitor System ($299.99)

I can get the following Roland for cheaper and it has a ton more reviews It is also cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OY4WA6/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Should I go for the Yamaha designed for the 562k e-drums, or should I go with the Roland Cube Monitor with more positive reviews and more money?

Thanks a million!!

Any small monitor is going to sound inferior.

When I first picked up an E kit, I bought a Roland PM 30. I thought it sounded OK until a year later when I purchased a PA, plugged in and compared them side by side.

Of course, even a used decent tri amped, powered PA speaker will run $800 so, do what you gotta do.

Any small monitor is going to sound inferior.

When I first picked up an E kit, I bought a Roland PM 30. I thought it sounded OK until a year later when I purchased a PA, plugged in and compared them side by side.

Of course, even a used decent tri amped, powered PA speaker will run $800 so, do what you gotta do.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of money.

Which one would you pick if you had only those two to choose from?

Thanks in advance!!

if you're buying this for home use only, I think you'll be fine with either option.

If you think you might ever want to take it out and play with other musicians live, then you may want to think about what New Tricks is suggesting. It will be more money but it is what it is. I now run a QSC K10 as my monitor. I bought it used(excellent condition)off ebay for $550. I kind of wish I got a K12. But the K10 works great.

Amplification/monitoring is the most overlooked thing for new edrummers. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a powered 1000w speaker. I've wasted a bit of money figuring this out.

There's cheaper options than QSC. Mackie, JBL, and Yamaha have great 1000w powered speakers as well.
(sorry, I typed this as you replied you dont have alot of money.)

Last edited:
if you're buying this for home use only, I think you'll be fine with either option.

If you think you might ever want to take it out and play with other musicians live, then you may want to think about what New Tricks is suggesting. It will be more money but it is what it is. I now run a QSC K10 as my monitor. I bought it used(excellent condition)off ebay for $550. I kind of wish I got a K12. But the K10 works great.

Amplification/monitoring is the most overlooked thing for new edrummers. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a powered 1000w speaker. I've wasted a bit of money figuring this out.

There's cheaper options than QSC. Mackie, JBL, and Yamaha have great 1000w powered speakers as well.
(sorry, I typed this as you replied you dont have alot of money.)

I see.

The salesman told me go with the Yamaha MS40-DR Electronic Drum Personal Monitor System because it is designed for Yamaha e-drums.

Nonetheless, it is pricier and there are virtually no reviews on it. = /

I'm with Blackstone and New Tricks on this one. I don't think either of those options has enough a** to keep up once you get cranking. I use the Simmons DA200S and with a total of 200 watts, it does just fine in my 40' x 40' drum cave playing through it with my e-drums or for amping source music for playalong practice on my acoustic set. Yes it can play loud enough that I cannot overwhelm it with my Sonors at full force.

It may be more expensive than what you have money for but you may be able to use a coupon at Guitar Center and get one for less.

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-DA200...qid=1401394839&sr=1-1&keywords=simmons+da200s

Which one would you pick if you had only those two to choose from?

I'd use headphones and save my money :)

The salesman told me go with the Yamaha MS40-DR Electronic Drum Personal Monitor System because it is designed for Yamaha e-drums.

That was my logic when buying the Roland PM 30 for my Roland drums. In retrospect, it was a poor decision.

If money is an issue, search for used gear on Craigslist and save 50%

I'd use headphones and save my money :)

That was my logic when buying the Roland PM 30 for my Roland drums. In retrospect, it was a poor decision.

If money is an issue, search for used gear on Craigslist and save 50%

Thank you for the warning.

I guess I need to realize that the guy is a salesman after all. I can't take him too seriously.

I'm with Blackstone and New Tricks on this one. I don't think either of those options has enough a** to keep up once you get cranking. I use the Simmons DA200S and with a total of 200 watts, it does just fine in my 40' x 40' drum cave playing through it with my e-drums or for amping source music for playalong practice on my acoustic set. Yes it can play loud enough that I cannot overwhelm it with my Sonors at full force.

It may be more expensive than what you have money for but you may be able to use a coupon at Guitar Center and get one for less.

http://www.amazon.com/Simmons-DA200...qid=1401394839&sr=1-1&keywords=simmons+da200s

Nice!!

200 watts. = )

Basically the same price as the Yamaha:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-ms40-dr-electronic-drum-personal-monitor-system.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a DA200S last week and use it in a hybrid kit. Love the depth and volume of the sound. It's absolutely the best around for the money. (And right there near the top even when money's no object.)

OP, if you can swing this financially I predict it'll make you very, very happy.

I got a DA200S last week and use it in a hybrid kit. Love the depth and volume of the sound. It's absolutely the best around for the money. (And right there near the top even when money's no object.)

OP, if you can swing this financially I predict it'll make you very, very happy.

I want to thank all of you for the expert advice.

I am saving up for the DA200S.

Given the price of many of these "specialized" drum monitors, why not Go Big Early and buy a powered 15" PA speaker? Think about it...if you ever play out with your V-Drums, what will the audience be hearing? A PA speaker! So, to heck with all the, "specifically designed for Yamaha edrums," "specifically designed for Roland edrums" hype. An audience is going to hear you through a PA (hopefully a good one), not a dedicated drum monitor. As an added side bonus, you can use the PA speaker for more than just edrums. Having a party? Plug in the iPod and rock out! Using your acoustic drums? You've got an incredible floor wedge monitor!

Just a few ideas (far from all-inclusive):
Electro Voice ZLX15P - $499 (1000 watts)
Mackie SRM series - $499
An up and coming company, Seismic Audio PWS-15 - $270 (600 watts)

One can also find JBL, Yamaha, etc. in a similar price range. QSC is very highly regarded, but a bit more expensive. Get online, read the reviews, and get out and listen to some of these...also, when researching these, be aware most companies make powered and passive versions. For example, EV makes the ZLX15 (passive, about $399) and the ZLX15P (powered, $499)

Nice!!

200 watts. = )

Trouble is,when you start trying to reproduce low frequencies (bass drum, floor tom) in a loud, full band setting, 200 watts is not very much. It takes A LOT of power to accurately reproduce lows. That's why your bass player has an 800W rig and your guitar player a 100W rig (not getting into the tube/solid state arguments). Or, a powered PA speaker rated at 800W will be bi-amped with 600W going to low frequencies and 200W going to High frequencies. I haven't researched it, but is this 200W continuous or peak? Age old trick of electronics manufacturers is to list peak wattage, so it could be a 100W RMS, 200W peak...

Given the price of many of these "specialized" drum monitors, why not Go Big Early and buy a powered 15" PA speaker? Think about it...if you ever play out with your V-Drums, what will the audience be hearing? A PA speaker! So, to heck with all the, "specifically designed for Yamaha edrums," "specifically designed for Roland edrums" hype. An audience is going to hear you through a PA (hopefully a good one), not a dedicated drum monitor. As an added side bonus, you can use the PA speaker for more than just edrums. Having a party? Plug in the iPod and rock out! Using your acoustic drums? You've got an incredible floor wedge monitor!

Just a few ideas (far from all-inclusive):
Electro Voice ZLX15P - $499 (1000 watts)
Mackie SRM series - $499
An up and coming company, Seismic Audio PWS-15 - $270 (600 watts)

One can also find JBL, Yamaha, etc. in a similar price range. QSC is very highly regarded, but a bit more expensive. Get online, read the reviews, and get out and listen to some of these...also, when researching these, be aware most companies make powered and passive versions. For example, EV makes the ZLX15 (passive, about $399) and the ZLX15P (powered, $499)

I'm still a bit of an amateur when it comes to music science.

Perhaps I should visit some more brick stores and do some more research before I commit to buying.

Any headphone recommendations in the meantime? Lol. Serious question BTW.

I was thinking this:

http://amzn.com/B000ULAP4U

Thoughts?

Again, I appreciate the advice!!

Any headphone recommendations in the meantime? Lol. Serious question BTW.

I was thinking this:

http://amzn.com/B000ULAP4U

Thoughts?

Again, I appreciate the advice!!

These are great headphones. I love my Sony MDR7506's, but if they ever get broken/stolen/lost what ever, I'd probably replace them with these. Good call on getting a set of cans and learning the ekit while researching amps. Figure out what you think you may want to do. If it's just for practice at home, cheap and low wattage will work great for you.

one thing about eDrums is if you get hooked, it can/will be a very expensive addiction, I love them. But sometimes I wish I was addicted to a cheaper habit(like hardcore drugs. lol. Im kidding.) sort of.

Good luck.

These are great headphones. I love my Sony MDR7506's, but if they ever get broken/stolen/lost what ever, I'd probably replace them with these. Good call on getting a set of cans and learning the ekit while researching amps. Figure out what you think you may want to do. If it's just for practice at home, cheap and low wattage will work great for you.

one thing about eDrums is if you get hooked, it can/will be a very expensive addiction, I love them. But sometimes I wish I was addicted to a cheaper habit(like hardcore drugs. lol. Im kidding.) sort of.

Good luck.

Lol. These will be my first e-drums. I live in an apartment.

Why is this hobby so expensive? What could I need aside from the Yamaha drums, amp, and headphones?

I hope the Yamaha 562k will last at least 10 years.

I hope the Yamaha 562k will last at least 10 years.

I would not count on that - technology changes overnight man. If you want something that will last 10 hundred years buy an acoustic kit... I know the noise. Just sayin.

MM

Oh well - I will keep it as long as possible then.

Hey Ricky I didn't mean to come off as a wet blanket man. I am sure that you will enjoy those drums for a long time man and they are a good purchase.

MM

Back