Flobots

Cedwico

I was just wondering if anyone could help. I haven't done any grades but I've read a bit of music and understand most things. Flobots do a song called The Rhythm Method which is in 7/8 and 3/8 time signatures. What grade would that be? I can play it completely as well as interpret and improvise whilst playing a long.

Thanks,

Ced, 15, UK!

Well to be honest i'm not entirely sure but i doubt you'll be given any musical grades based on being able to play a song by a rap band. It's usually about being able to display required techniques and knowledge of theory.

Odd times will feature in grade 8 pieces, if you can handle those kind of signatures fluidly and can improvise comfortably over them I dare say you'd be of grade 8 standard, in terms of performance. Get the syllabi (sp?) for Rockschool and Guildhall, see what you make of them.

Odd times will feature in grade 8 pieces, if you can handle those kind of signatures fluidly and can improvise comfortably over them I dare say you'd be of grade 8 standard, in terms of performance. Get the syllabi (sp?) for Rockschool and Guildhall, see what you make of them.

The important thing to remember though is that you can't just waltz in and do grade 8. You have to start off at grade 5 max.

The important thing to remember though is that you can't just waltz in and do grade 8. You have to start off at grade 5 max.

No, you may be thinking of the requirement of some boards that you pass the grade 5 music theory exam before being entered into grade 8. I don't think this is the case with the Rockschool exams. Anyone is free to enter and attempt the Grade 8 exam, but your teacher would have to be pretty confident that you're up to scratch and lack of experience isn't going to be a problem.
TO Cedwico, I'd discuss it with your teacher, but I'd recommend attempting Grade 6 first to get a feel for what is required. The exams aren't just about learning performance pieces and playing them, your understanding of the instrument, general musicianship and sight reading will all be tested as well. That could be a scary thing at grade 8 with no experience...

Back