Considering Tom Suspension Systems

RollingStone000

Silver Member
What's happening fella's, I'm new here and this is my first post. Real quickly, I picked up a 4-piece Sound Percussion kit a couple months ago (getting into drumming for fun - been playing guitar for ten years now). I was looking into tom suspension systems (I've been seeing those on a lot of drums nowadays) and I've got a few questions.

First off, my biggest inquiry is would removing the mounting hardware cause any problems? I'd like to mount my 12" x 9" tom either by tom suspension or a stand of some sorts. The bass drum and tom aren't "virgin" so I'm kind of in the dark on that. It just think it would look aweful with the tom mount bracket just sitting there in the breeze.

Also could I cover up the hole with anything? Possbily a metal plate or something that would match the curvature of the shell.

Secondly, I've seen many different types of suspension rims and if I'm correct the holes that would be for the mounting bracket are always in a few diferent positions. One model or manufacturer may make them with the holes/cutouts an inch or two higher or lower than the next. Would that be something? I'd need to take into consideration as well?

Some info on this would be very much appreciated, and thanks for your opinions in advance.

Yup- Rims is the way forward I think also mate- NOt sure about the blanking plates- I know Pearl make some for when people do just that- maybe they can be adapted to fit?
BUT I am not sure it will make much change to the sound- to test, try and mount one of the toms on a snare stand and see if you CAN hear a differance...........if not dont worry and just save up for a better kit- honestly it will serve you better than adding improvements to what you have.

Honestly if it were me I'd put the money you are going to spend on suspension mounts aside for upgrading ;-) I don't think they will make that much difference on your kit.

Honestly if it were me I'd put the money you are going to spend on suspension mounts aside for upgrading ;-) I don't think they will make that much difference on your kit.

I agree. I'm pretty sure you won't notice much of a difference on your Sound Percussion kit. I'd think about upgrading your kit if you want some more resonance. You should look into an intermediate level kit, something made of a harder wood like maple or birch.

Yeah, if it were me I would just learn to tool around on that SP and not put any money into it...personally, I would save the money and just go for a used kit in what you are looking for or nearer to what you are looking for IMHO...enjoy drumming!

OH, and welcome to the forum...nice to have you!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I should've mentioned that I'm more interested in positioning the mounted tom drum than I am in the resonance or "true sound" of the drum. I realize it's a cheap kit and I'm only going to get a decent and not great sound, hell you should've heard when I first got it with the stock heads, it made me not even want to play them. But yeah, I've got it as good as it'll sound in my opinion, but I'd like to put the tom in more of a flatter and slightly lower position. Weighing my options.

well, if that be the case then you could get yourself a cheap snare basket and put it in there and see how that works for ya...try it out with your snare stand now to see how it works and feels and then decide from there?

I'd like to mount my 12" x 9" tom either by tom suspension or a stand of some sorts.
Quite simply RIMS give you great flexability to do lots of things. You bolt your existing tom mount to the RIMS plate, suspend your 12x9 on the RIMS, and aux.clamp the whole deal (tom, RIMS and tom mount/arm) to a cymbal stand. Don't throw anything away. You wanna upgrade your kit. Return your kit to it's stock form. Sell it. You keep the RIMS and the aux. clamp. I've used my RIMS 12" on 3 different drums/kits in 5 years. The drums, they may come and go. The RIMS system, with me for life.

Back