Zach Hill

I just found Hella tonight and I really love it. If you check their music vids on YouTube, you can see they can groove really well with the spastic parts thrown in here and there. The live stuff seems to be nothing but straight solos / fills hheheh. I really need to start picking up the albums. So much music, so little money. hhahah

I just found Hella tonight and I really love it. If you check their music vids on YouTube, you can see they can groove really well with the spastic parts thrown in here and there. The live stuff seems to be nothing but straight solos / fills hheheh. I really need to start picking up the albums. So much music, so little money. hhahah

Welcome to another dimension!

Maybe someone can satisfy my curiosity - do Hella take their name from the brand of floodlights that you see attached to 4X4s/trucks/utes, like the ones that Ozzie sheep farmers drive around the outback in?

Great drummer, super chops, immense power....better than all Fusion drummers? No, don't be ridiculous.

Guys like Antonio Sanchez Jr. are splitting time signatures with clave on both feet while maintaining the Tumbao in the kick drum and soloing freely with their hands on top of that, doing stuff that Zach Hill can't even touch. You may not like that kind of music but it's every bit as complex, and actually more, than anything Hella or Lightning Bolt are doing.

Also, Zach's technique is nowhere near as polished and clean as guys like Sanchez, Weckl, Colaiuta etc. Those guys would school Hill anytime, anyplace.

And frankly, I'd rather listen to an hour of Brian Blade or Ari Hoenig soloing than 5 minutes of any project Zach Hill is playing with. Just saying.

Re: Zach Hill Here

Zach Hill, for you guys who dont know, is a technical beast that makes it actually sound good. It blows my mind every time I hear him play with any of his bands. I would love to see him live. His music isnt for everyone, but give it a try.
here is one of his bands "Hella"
1-800 Ghost Dance
Biblical Violence
His solo Project
Hindsight is Nowhere
I played a show with him once at SXSW. I spoke to him afterward. I can't say I really cared for his attitude that day. Eh, take it for what it's worth.

I am fascinated by the controlled chaos Zach Hill creates with his drumming, I've been a fan for some time, I also like how he would play with trash cans if that was the only thing available at the gig, I love that spirit of "screw it, i just want to play!".

I just think its rediculous how he plays so well and so technical without even a lesson, on a lot of his songs you hear these polyrhythms and other nonsense going on and im like, where the hell did he learn this!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYPtOqZRsmk

His new solo album is IMMENSE, the drumming on the primitives talk is tasty as anything!

Back