Putting band name on kick drum head, with multiple bands?

Hey all,
So, as a freelance drummer, I'm in 2-3 projects at a time. But they're frequent flyers (not one-offs).

I always feel like (2nd to a solid banner), the kick drum head still reigns supreme in the 'band name identifier' to the crowd, and I would like to have the band name still represented on my kick head, but obviously I can't put 3 band names on my one head.

Does anyone have a good solution to my problem other than 'buy 3 kick drum heads and swap them out for each gig' ?

Thanks!
x CHRIS x

how putting vinyls on old BD heads, cutting the ring off and then attach the logo piece attaching with velcro to the real head. I'm not sure if it will change the tone that much in a live setting, plus you could vent the old head if it does.

Hey all,
So, as a freelance drummer, I'm in 2-3 projects at a time. But they're frequent flyers (not one-offs).

I always feel like (2nd to a solid banner), the kick drum head still reigns supreme in the 'band name identifier' to the crowd, and I would like to have the band name still represented on my kick head, but obviously I can't put 3 band names on my one head.

Does anyone have a good solution to my problem other than 'buy 3 kick drum heads and swap them out for each gig' ?

Thanks!
x CHRIS x

Other than that, just go with a blank head, cheaper and less work!

To be quite honest I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a band and "remember" seeing their name on the bass head. It could have been there but what stuck out to me was the playing not the art work on the head. And that's with me being a drummer.

Only other thing I can think of is coming up with an artwork design that might tie in to all the bands

Decals.

I believe they'll stick to an uncoated head. IIRC, there was an old thread here with a link to someone who does them. I'll try and dig it out for you.

Get a white coated ambassador. It's like a movie screen. Project band name on it with a projector. Not too serious about that.

Vinyl clingys are probably the best way to go. Circular sheets of whatever vinyl you want that stick to the reso head by static cling. Or make your own out of old bass heads and just hang them in front somehow.

I use DrumArt.com and you can get cling-ons that peel off. Never tried those but would be very easy to slap on.

I play in two bands but one plays only about 5 times a year. In those cases, I find it's easier to swap out the plain white head for that gig and switch it back to the logo head for the other band.

I've also heard (on here somewhere) of decals that stick on with very small magnets (i.e both side of reso), so small they would not affect too much of the movement of a reso head.

You can always do what Abe Laboriel Jr. does - black reso and initials of Paul McCartney 'PM' in masking tape.
easily removed, and changed for name of each band you play for.

You can just hang signs off the hoop, not touching the head at all. Not elegant, but works.

Hey all,

Thanks!
x CHRIS x

Clearly you need multiple kits, or at least multiple bass drums...

Beyond that, if these are short term gigs I don't think you have any obligation here. You should probably have your own name or "brand" if you will on the kick drum.

Don't most bands still have the logo back drop anymore?

+3 on Drumart. I've bought both the full imprinted head and the "cling-on" decals from them. The decal does cut your resonance, though. Your reso head has to be smooth. I'm currently in 3 bands. They nag me to get a decal, but my reso is "textured" so the decals won't stick.

Clearly you need multiple kits, or at least multiple bass drums...

Beyond that, if these are short term gigs I don't think you have any obligation here. You should probably have your own name or "brand" if you will on the kick drum.

Don't most bands still have the logo back drop anymore?

I second that one. I'm thinking of a design for my kick that doesn't have the band name/logo on it but a personal logo or design. I've seen a couple of really classy looking ones lately and I'd like to emulate that idea. I'm only in one band and I'm totally going to go that route soon.

I also like the alternative, which is to get a smooth resonant head (white or black), and the cling vinyl logo for each band that can be swapped out.

Apart from the Al gig, I've only had a couple of bands where I needed art on the kick. Way back, when I had just 2 kits and one band, I left the logo on the drum for the term I was in the band. More recently, with enough kits/kicks to go around, I assigned a logo head & 14x24" kick to one band, I only played that drum with them.

With Al, my last two heads were done by DrumArt, who does fabulous work, and fast (they also do most of the overlays for the companies displaying at NAMM.) Prior to that, I had an Inked By Evans head, which turned out great, although their turnaround was longer in the past and I had a head chasing me around on tour for an additional week. prior to that, I was known to hand-paint heads as needed. :)

Bermuda

Thanks for all the helpful replies!
I found this company that can do a 6x18 static cling for like $25 (the size that would fit right about in the middle of the drum without any issues)
http://www.buildasign.com/Window-Clings

I can just get one for each band name/logo and hot swap em as needed for each gig. And then I can keep my clean black head for one-offs.

And yes, one of the bands has a banner, but in all the cases, the bands are willing to pay for the kick drum solution-whatever it be, I am just being a good team player here.

But I do like Wally's idea, have the guitarist put it on his guitar screen! That's easier seen above the crowd heads anyways...

Thanks team!
x CHRIS x

Get a white coated ambassador. It's like a movie screen. Project band name on it with a projector.

Hey that could be cool. Project some old science fiction or cowboy movie in the drum head during a gig.

Back