Play with the best musicians you can find

Tim Waterson

WFD ACEDRUMMER
I always see amazing drummers on videos and drummers,friends students always ask how they can get to that level.
first of all it takes practice LOL

Secondly surround yourselves with the best players possible
Drumming with better musicians will make you a better drummer because you are inspired and forced to step up to the plate so to speak.

Ive seen a lot of Latin or gospel chops inspired drummers soloing over the phrases of verses and chorus and YES they sound amazing and a lot of drummers get frustrated thinking they'll never get that good my response is always takes practice, also a band that will allow you to express yourself through the music and not just keep time.
But Ive also seen guys blowing their chops with average players and it just sound like the drummer is showing off.LOL

ALSO open your musical mind and listen and play as many styles of music as you can.
Of couse if your not in a Hi NRG band you also must learn to lay back and lay down the pulse, but if the players are good enough you'll be able to elinminate notes and start syncopating and applying linear paatterns without affecting the groove.

If I get to play with better players my playing will go up.The first thing is I can relax more and not worry about the others tripping LOL
Just something for drummers to think about
Tim

Totally agree on playing with better musicians, if they'll have you ha ha.
I sub for this one band that has just stellar players. I always love getting that call. It's one of the highlights of my life, for real. When you get compliments from people who aren't the kind to throw compliments around, well that just really makes me feel all squirmy inside.

agreed. to me, there's not really any better way to seriously improve your skill-set than to put yourself (way) outside your comfort zone, take risks and try new things.

I don't think playing with the best you can find is the best idea. I mean if you're a beginner you probably won't find yourself playing with the best musicians in your area straight away, but playing live or in a band is always the best way to make yourself tighter.

I know a few guys who aren't so great at playing but can keep it tight in a band cause they play n jam out so much. Then I have my other friend who's been playing guitar just in his bedroom for years n he can't keep up in a band or keep eye contact or anything... just experience n determination.

Ive seen a lot of Latin or gospel chops inspired drummers soloing over the phrases of verses and chorus
Tim

I so hate those drummers. If a guy came into my band and acted as selfish as these guys, I'd strangle him! These drummers are all about their own egos. And to me, they all sound the same. Busy.

Imagine trying to play congas or getting a groove happening???!!! I remember Hal Blaine talking about a percussionist who came into Nancy Sinatra's band and just played all over everything. Hal hated it! The next night the percussionist was gone. And rightly so.

Yes, play with the best musicians you can find. I recently helped a musician who was just entering the pro world and it was utterly frustrating. I gave and gave until I was all worn out. Did he appreciate it? I doubt it.

I have a personal rule that i won't join a new band unless i feel that i am the least talented musician there. it will soon change and there may be frowns and lots of work in the beginning but then you grow and find yourself in a class act.
j

I'm in that situation now and it's kinda hard but luckily the lads are so supportive with lots of positive strokes. I'm sure in a short time we'll be where I would like to be.

I don't think playing with the best you can find is the best idea. I mean if you're a beginner you probably won't find yourself playing with the best musicians in your area straight away, but playing live or in a band is always the best way to make yourself tighter.

Yeah, I think J has hit the nail on the head. It's playing with people who are a couple of rungs on the ladder above you in the main. Although I have played with some professional musicians who were way out of my league but were happy to have me along for a few numbers and give me some really constructive feedback.

I have played with an amazing bass player who just blew me away but wouldn't return my calls afterwards. I understand he was way too good but to go all superior on me wasn't good.

I do find that the more talented musicians are the more they tend to give of themselves or maybe I've just been lucky.

I know a few guys who aren't so great at playing but can keep it tight in a band cause they play n jam out so much. Then I have my other friend who's been playing guitar just in his bedroom for years n he can't keep up in a band or keep eye contact or anything... just experience n determination.

I'm not talking about beginners they should play with whoever they can play with.
Right playing in the basement without players just makes you a great basement star>LOL
READ the post again and you'll see iI'm talking about the drummers who put us in awe with incredible gospel or latin fuzion chops.
Playing with better players will inspire you and allow you to express yourself if the situation allows it.
Tim

I so hate those drummers. If a guy came into my band and acted as selfish as these guys, I'd strangle him! These drummers are all about their own egos. And to me, they all sound the same. Busy.

Imagine trying to play congas or getting a groove happening???!!! I remember Hal Blaine talking about a percussionist who came into Nancy Sinatra's band and just played all over everything. Hal hated it! The next night the percussionist was gone. And rightly so.

Yes, play with the best musicians you can find. I recently helped a musician who was just entering the pro world and it was utterly frustrating. I gave and gave until I was all worn out. Did he appreciate it? I doubt it.

As a drummer I can appreciate these guys for their amazing skills...they can blow chops all over the place and pull off some amazing licks. At the same time, musically, I think it sounds pretty terrible.

It was fun an interesting to watch them on the 2007 MD Festival DVD the first time. Now I find myself skipping over it, every time I watch it.

let me lay down a little story of mine...

every now and then, i go off thinking "should i be in this band?" in the band i play with, the lead guitarist has been playing for just over ONE year. the bassist for 3-4 years, our rythem guitarist has been playing for MAYBE 6 months, and ive been playing for 7 years... (our singer has been singing her whole life). i always wonder, when we start writing our own music, if the others will be able to keep up with me and the singer. so far, our singer and i have been the only ones even trying to write any original stuff. the best the lead can do is whip out a simple blues solo w/ power chords for everything else. during live performances, its only me and the singer who have ANY stage presence (ie: moving around, head banging, ect.).
but the one problem i have is: there are no better musicians within 15 miles of where i live except for actual adults. only being 16, none of the experienced musicians take me seriously... and im not trying to make myself sound good, its just that everyone else around me isnt up to snuff, so to speak.

so i definitly agree with the OP, since i dont even feel somewhat pushed musically.

So, if the drummer is playing with better musicians ... then that means the other musicians are playing with someone worse. Tough call!

If everyone took that approach then we'd have a survival-of-the-fittest situation, like penguins jostling to be in the inner (and warmer) positions when they huddle.

There's also the option of taking a mentoring role as a senior player in a group, especially since we are hoping to be mentored ourselves. Playing with less accomplished players takes the pressure off, which can be good at times. It can be frustrating but, in trying to coax a bit more out of the others, it can remind you of the basics you need to attend to yourself. Instructors often say they learn a lot from teaching.

I think the most poignant term here is "musician" rather than technically accomplished player.

QUOTE Starkeydrums:
but the one problem i have is: there are no better musicians within 15 miles of where i live except for actual adults. only being 16, none of the experienced musicians take me seriously...

They will take you seriously if you have the makings of a good musician. My band members are all very experienced musicians in their late 40's, except for the guitarist. He's 20 years old and super talented. More than that, he has musical maturity way beyond his years. Don't be afraid to work with "actual adults" unless you want to go for a recording deal as a "shirt off" boy band or something!

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me flip the question on its head.

Without meaning to be a jerk..... what if you are head & shoulders above all the people you have 'access' to? What do do then? Do you continue to play in a non challenging, non exciting band?

A guitar player friend of mine refuses to play. He'd rather not play than play with bozos. ( his word, not mine )

what do you think, Tim? Anyone else?

I think, if the drummer is better than the others, he has 4 choices. Shut up and endure, try to take a proactive position and guide the musicians as to what or what not they should be doing, stay with them while looking elsewhere for something better, or leave, and start your own thing with people you pick

Let me flip the question on its head.

Without meaning to be a jerk..... what if you are head & shoulders above all the people you have 'access' to? What do do then? Do you continue to play in a non challenging, non exciting band?

A guitar player friend of mine refuses to play. He'd rather not play than play with bozos. ( his word, not mine )

what do you think, Tim? Anyone else?

Hard to say without sounding without sounding egotistical LOL
except for my present Singer JUDEA SAN PEDRO.Her voice is in a category all by itself.

I have spent the majority of my life playing in bands( a few exceptions) with musicians that were always learing from me trying to lay back to keep everyone in line
Musically I dont get a chance to SHOW my chops much in the music does not fit in the present situation.

I had an opportunity to work with one of the top canadian guitarists but he wanted me to manage and book shows as well as drum.His old drummers was an OK drummer who just played in the background.He sounds the same today as when he first started playing drums.BUT he get gigs cause he's friendly and does not get in anyones way musicically..

Ive always been the one musicians could count on to remember the songs, lyrics, melodies, cue the band be the first to add harmonies etc..........Not just chops and versatility.
If you can't find the players good enough YES you are forced to lay back and help the players if they are willing? to improve while you GIG.
Tim

I think it's true what Tim says. I've been drumming for three years this month, and only 6 months with a band. The other players are so much better and skilled then me, and I am learning so much from them. It's really great to play with good musicians for a young drummer, and since I have so much to learn I hope I will stay in this position for a long long time :).

Back