Forming a new Jazz-Swing band

rogue_drummer

Gold Member
I answered a posting on Craigslist for musicians. The guy who made the post wants to organize a Jazz-Swing band along the lines of Stompy Jones to play corporate parties, festivals, parties, birthday parties, ect. I'm in between projects now, so I thought "why not?"

I met with him several weeks ago. Turns out we have a lot in common: age, career, education, etc. He's getting a piano player, he plays trumpet, he has a trombone player, a sax player, I'm the drummer, and we need a stand up bass player. We have two pieces from Louie Jordan to practice (Buzz me Baby and Caldonia). And we have a great place to rehearse. We should be getting together for our first rehearsal soon.

I told him, if I start making mistakes, start sucking to PLEASE let me know so that I can work on whatever it is I'm sucking at. Hopefully this will be a positive experience.

This is the first band I have been involved with in the early stages of forming, getting musicians together, ect. Does anyone have any advice to offer for forming successful bands?

I have been in band of all different genres. Rock, pop, funk, church, jazz, concert etc. It may sound like a no brainer but the key to keeping your band happy is to be friendly. I may be only 15, but in my experience I have played with musicians aged 13-70. For the younger musicians, or ones my age, talk is easy. Talk about what they are into and make it fun. For the older musicians, I take a formal approach, and act like an adult. Making friends with the band members is just as important as keeping your playing in tact.
I hope this helps.

Communication is key - I remember seeing some older Tool interview where Danny Carey mentioned communication was key to Tool sticking together while all their friends that started at the same time they did disbanded over the years.

If you read any interview with just about any session player the first thing they'll see is do your homework for your projects - if its something new to you buy records and really dive into the genre, if it's something you're used to practice and build a good relationship with your band mates.

I've also found playing with Jazz cats a little different from some other genres - more laid back, professional, etc.

Dont forget to have fun!!

Back