Studio build help/info

Toolate

Platinum Member
I am a building contractor and wanna be drummer and a friend of mine may be looking to build a new studio on his property. Separate building dedicated to full band recording/jamming/practice etc. so its a blank slate (!!!) and I may end up as the designer. Band will be rock/country and is usually 2 singers, guitar, bass, drummer, keys and occasionally an additional singer and guitar player.

So I have a ton of info and ideas but thought I would ask if anyone has any relevant info be it pictures, links, videos of great studios, experiences in good studios that you really liked or just general ideas about what to include and what not to do as I have never recorded in an actual studio- just walked through a few sadly...

Any info would be welcome because its the little things that make all the difference in the way a space feels and sounds but I find those can be the most important details.

Heres a list of possible ideas/topics to comment on:
1. overall dimensions/spaces for each musician/drum/vocals booths needed?
2. wall coverings (% of walls covered and with what) and acoustics/ flat ceiling or cathedral
3. power requirements and mixing board size/location/gear suggestions
4. floor covering
5. access to the space for load in and out
6. anything goes!

Hoping to not turn this into a debate/discussion on sound proofing since that wont be a requirement and I have done enough home theaters etc. to feel reasonably confident about the construction side of things.

This is open ended but I am hoping to start some interesting discussion or at least see some great pics of studios you have played in and hear the good and bad. Promise to post pics if this comes to fruition!

You might be "reasonably confident" regarding construction but I strongly suggest you pick up Rod Gervais' book Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros. There are many "common sense" ideas about construction and layout that lead to under performing spaces and many details that are often overlooked.

Also, never assume that sound isolation is not an issue. The main reason studios have isolation is not to prevent the sound from bothering the neighbors, it's to prevent outside sounds from leaking into the recording space. (Not bothering the neighbors is a bonus)

Check out houzz.com

Silly 20 char rule

Been there- I am looking for more than just pictures really though. Good idea though so will do.

Def going to check out that book too- thanks fellers.

Would like to hear some first hand experience on what people like and dont about their fav studio. That kind of thing if anyone has it.

You might be "reasonably confident" regarding construction but I strongly suggest you pick up Rod Gervais' book Home Recording Studio: Build It Like the Pros. There are many "common sense" ideas about construction and layout that lead to under performing spaces and many details that are often overlooked.

^ This.

And then read it again.

If you don't, you WILL regret not doing so.

Did I mention to buy the book Notbob said to get?

I only have a tiny studio in my ex living room, but I have learned a few things.

Buy bulk cable and put all your cable wiring in the walls to avoid wires all over the floors.

At each station, have a jack for a mic, an instrument cable and headphones. Install a single or two gang mud ring and drill out a blank cover to accept the jacks. Make as many stations as you anticipate needing. If you think you will need to mic amps for recording, add another mic cable/jack.

Have good lighting at each station.

Internet access is a must as well as a big screen monitor that everyone can see.

Split all your instrument and mic cables and run them all thru the PA (for rehearsal) and the DAW/controller/workstation. That way you can instantly go from recording to rehearsing with no cabling changes.

They say to avoid square boxy rooms. Break it up with some small triangular floor to ceiling projections throughout.

Treat the flat walls with something like 1x6's horizontally over drywall with an inch or so between them.

Commercial style flat carpet on the floors.

Treat the ceiling with standard office style acoustical tiles but leave a few inches between them to break up the flatness.

Put a garage door in that opens up to a party space outside so you can set up your portable stage and play outside.

Proper HVAC.

Surge protection.

Restroom, refrigerator

20140723_115132_zpsa1aa7e7d.jpg

2013-07-12_15-12-37_289_zps79a39dec.jpg

2013-07-12_15-12-56_757_zpsaeae029b.jpg

20131226_203409_zps1c276000.jpg

I currently rent a two room apartment with a large great room. The apartment is part of a country estate that is owned by my sister and brother in law. They also live on the the complex in a separate house. I am getting ready to retire from my main profession and I am kind of just hanging out for a few years before I move to another place that is yet to be determined.
The great room is 20'x20' and the ceiling is 14 feet high. It is a combination Kitchen/living room/studio. It is the best sounding room that I have ever played in.
I always have 2 kits set up. I have a PA set up. I have recording gear that is always ready to go. People come over and it is simply plug and play. It is the most practical place that I have ever lived in. The sound is incredible! I love recording here.
Funny how this simple and practical accommodation is most effective.
I have the opportunity to explore music in depth here without being distracted. I have never had this experience before.
Everyone likes to come and play here.
You never know what the perfect studio is going to be until you find it.

Last edited:
Back