Blast from the past!

Stroman

Diamond Member
I hadn't heard "Frampton Comes Alive" in YEARS, so I got the urge to download it the other day. HOLY CRAP I love the sound of those drums! That's got to be a supraphonic and a whole boatload of concert toms. Those were the days.

He's doing the 35th anniversary tour this year where he's performing the whole album plus another set. I would love to see that but unfortunately I'm going to be out of town the same weekend he's performing here in his hometown of Cincinnati. I'm sick about it...I live 15 miles from the guy and have yet to see him live. Last 4th of July he put on a free concert here in Cincy and once again, I was out of town on a family emergency. Guess it's just not meant to be but I've heard the FCA tour has been awesome so far!

There's a few youtube vids of Frampton on the Midnight Special from the 70's,and his drummer the late John Siomos is playing a pretty much standard Ludwig 5 piece double headed 24/12/13/16 with a Supraphonic and 2 concert toms looks like a 8/10.The drums sound amazing as does the band.The kit was also painted...yes painted very dark green.

Steve B

@MaryO - I just found out that tour is coming to a city near me. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun! Hope you get to go sometime.

@Tamadrm - Thanks for the heads up on those YouTube vids - that was a pleasure. I am really surprised the drums were double-headed (they still sound so much like concert toms on the record!) but glad I nailed the Supraphonic! lol Also interesting to see he played trad grip.

Fun stuff!

pretty much got burned out on this album in '76.....no need for me to go back there now.

pretty much got burned out on this album in '76.....no need for me to go back there now.

Haha, I can see that, but I never owned it, only heard it at other people's houses, etc. So it was kinda fresh and fun for me.

Haha, I can see that, but I never owned it, only heard it at other people's houses, etc. So it was kinda fresh and fun for me.

never owned it either....just got tired of hearing it back then on the radio and continually rammed down your throat since then.

never owned it either....just got tired of hearing it back then on the radio and continually rammed down your throat since then.

That's too bad! I never felt like it was rammed down my throat.

That's too bad! I never felt like it was rammed down my throat.

then you must have better "classic rock" stations where you live than we do around here.

One of the best "live" albums of all time! Great band featuring the late Bob Mayo on keyboards. Every time I hear a cut from this album I think of my youth and growing up. Thats one of the magical qualities of music!

To quote Mike Myers from Wayne's World, "If you lived in the suburbs you were issued it. It came in the mail with samples of "Tide".
I still love this album. I saw him at a NAMM show a few years back, demoing some effects pedal or something. Right there in the hallway, Frampton, jammin' away.

Back