I have come up with a music theory rule, but I need help!

The rule is pretty confusing, but I think most of you can figure it out. Please give me tips to improve it.

musicrule.jpg

A few things:
1) If so, so what? Without a practical application- and I can see none- this isn't a rule, it's an observation.
2) The top and bottom parts of your second and third examples are not the same length- you can't just freely exchange an 8th note with a 16th note+16th rest. They may sound the same when you play them on a wood block, but they are different values. In every example the originals and their inverse have the same duration.
3) I don't understand the relevance of the beams- wouldn't the rule apply to any collection of notes of different values?
4) What about a rhythm of 16th-8th-16th?

I don't quite understand what you are trying to explain here, Assured. "Inverse" means to reverse and the patterns on the bottom don't do that. You drop a note for a rest which changes everything about the grouping. If you are playing 4 notes and then drop 1 and play 3 obvisouly it's going to be different, it doesn't matter if it's inverted or not.

I can appreciate a person who works hard to find ways to simplify things such as music theory, but this seems to confuse a person more than help.

Last edited:
Back