DW practice pad to e kit?

skippy

I was just thinking that maybe i could somehow rig some ddrum triggers to the pads on my DW practice pad kit then run those into a trigger to midi box and use it as a practice kit to write parts on in my apartment. The problem is i dont know anything about electronic drum nonsense so im looking for someone to tell me that it would work before i spend the money on these things. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Skippy.

Well, triggers are meant to pick up vibrations from a drum head... I think you'd have difficulties getting them to consistently pick up the vibrations from a rubber pad.

That said, if you want to look at different options when it comes to building an e-kit, check out the forums at www.vdrums.com. There are loads of guys there who have built e-kits out of just about anything you can hit with a stick :)

I'm sure you could do this...but dw kit is only 5 total pads for like 150? Why not just get a Roland td3 (for example) used on CL? I see them for $400 and then all the triggering is g2g.

Based on the other post....those remo pads are some of the noisiest practice pads around IMO...if noise is at all an issue.

I have seen a guy rig up triggers to a mouse pad on a hard table top so your conversion shouldn't pose too much of a problem.

I totally agree with you on this, the thing is I already have the dw kit. I bought it a couple of years ago so i was just looking into maybe converting it if it were doable.

Should work fine once you get it dialed in. You'll need triggers (and a way to hold them in place), cables (from triggers to module), a module, more cables (from module to amp/speakers), or headphones.
You can make the triggers yourself if you know how to solder, or know someone who would do it for you. Once you do one, the others are easy.

I was just thinking that maybe i could somehow rig some ddrum triggers to the pads on my DW practice pad kit then run those into a trigger to midi box and use it as a practice kit to write parts on in my apartment. The problem is i dont know anything about electronic drum nonsense so im looking for someone to tell me that it would work before i spend the money on these things. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Skippy.

Skippy, Did you ever do it? If so; can you share your experiences. 'Cus I'm thinking of doing the same. I wonder about which triggers to choose, where and how to put them on, how to lessen the cross-talk and so on.
Thanks!

A very simple approach (assuming you don't want to go full DIY) is to buy some tom triggers from Triggera. I haven't used them myself but I've seen some positive comments about them over at vdrums.com. They mount inside, off of the lug attachment bolts, and pick up signals from the edge of the head. Then just replace your regular heads with mesh heads.

Back