How do you learn a beat from a song?

Im only beginner level but for example I want to learn this beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhO91iq_uu8

What method do you use to learn the drumming from a song? Can you just hear it and play it?

I can just hear it and play it, however not everyone can, whether they transcribe it and then learn it, or just spend 20 minutes listening to each groove to analyse it and then try and recreate it. I would say as you become a better drummer your ability to recognise and imitate grooves becomes better, as you can tell what the drummer is physically doing to create that sound/groove.

I can just hear it and play it, however not everyone can, whether they transcribe it and then learn it, or just spend 20 minutes listening to each groove to analyse it and then try and recreate it. I would say as you become a better drummer your ability to recognise and imitate grooves becomes better, as you can tell what the drummer is physically doing to create that sound/groove.

Are you able to tell me what this particular beat is?

First and foremost, that beat is programmed and based on samples (the Amen break, among other things). It might not even be playable by an actual drummer (and if it is, it sounds like it would be a fairly advanced groove).

I would use an audio editor to slow it way down, and then try to learn it or transcribe it in small chunks.

I reckon I could do a rough approximation of it. I wouldnt bother too much trying to get it 100% correct.

I think its a talent that develops as you start to actually listen to the individual kit pieces.

The method I use is to single out a kit piece say the Bass Drum - understand where that is being played and so-on until the whole picture builds.

As has been stated - software to slow down the music can also be of assistance.

I also find for tom fills etc I listen to panning to help distinguish the different toms. It will largely vary on the mixing of the drums but this has been of use to me in the past. I am sure others will chime in with some better suggestions :-D

First off, welcome to drumming and the forum. I hope your new passion provides you with years of enjoyment and self-discovery.

Learning "beats" is never a bad thing, but it's not necessarily the be-all-end-all product of drumming. As you progress in your playing, you'll learn to listen to music and understand what goes where according to the conventions of the genre. Then "beats" will be easier to break down and learn.

If you haven't already, I would really suggest finding a teacher and taking a few lessons. A good start with a good teacher can really make the difference and show you some shortcuts to learning things like this.

To more directly answer your question: Find the count of the beat. This beat is in four (albeit a very fast four). Handle the separate parts in turn - bass drum, snare, hi-hat - and then put them all together. Keep in mind that in most dance grooves, no matter how complex everything else is, there's always a kick note on one and three to make the pulse.

Study the "Amen Break" resources the other posters have given you.

And one final parting gift: Learning to read music makes learning beats easier.

Im only beginner level but for example I want to learn this beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhO91iq_uu8

What method do you use to learn the drumming from a song? Can you just hear it and play it?

For one, thats not a beginner beat so you may have trouble hearing the beat and playing the beats and rhythms. You will find your ear and technique develop together, so you play what you hear and you can hear what you play. I can play most things by ear, complicated beats I need to slow down to get it. If you hum me a beat I can play it, but still you can allways find something I cant play. Thats what its all about, learning learning all the time.

You need to find some progession in your learning, it will make things easier and you will get less frustrated. Get a teacher, or get beginners drum book or something mate. Then move onto the drum and bass in a couple of years.

Well, it's a bit different with electronic music. You have to be able to pick apart the different drum sounds. For example, which sound is the snare and which is the bass? You have to pick it apart then put it back together. Listen to it a couple of times before actually attempting to play it. This is going to sound dumb and ridiculous but air drum to it. It will get you accustomed to playing the different parts. Once you've got it down with air drumming, try it on your kit. It'll still be a tad hard and it wont be like air drumming. Play it over and over till you get a couple of the parts down and then try the other parts you couldn't get the first time then pull it all together. The basics of playing by ear!

Sorry I didnt get back for a while, but I see your question has already been discussed. Anyway, if there were a drummer who could play it, (Im sure many could) but first and foremost check out jojo mayer, he plays similar styles and is very good at them. Check out a video on youtube called "between zero and one" where jojo talks about the actual science behind playing/replicating electronically produced beats.

I don't have a hard time figuring out beats most of the time but sometimes need to slow something down and loop it.

For example...I've had to learn this song for one of the bands I play in, (bullets with butterfly wings) by the smashing pumpkins.

In that song there is a main "go off fill" starts at about 2:24 into the song and ends at about 2:41. I use an app for my iPhone called "Amazing Slow Downer". With this app I isolate that part, slow it down, loop it and listen over and over till it's embedded in my head.

For a fill like that, the first thing I figure out is where are all the cymbal accents and usually there is a pattern that I count out and memorize, filling in the rest of the notes becomes easier then.

Hope I was able to help!

My thumbs:: when I want to learn a new song, I use my right thumb to represent the bass drum and my left for the snare drum, and just tap it out on a desk, or table, or if I'm at work on the machine I run. I don't play complicated stuff, just rock and alt rock stuff, so my technique may not work for you, but I've learned every song I wanted to this way...have fun.....seriously <------ it's about having fun.

Back