Gregg Bissonette

Greg truly is one of the nicest guys in the business. He is playing on a track on the new John Blackwell CD (The John Blackwell Project) which will be available in the next few weeks. One track written by Paul Pesco just cried out for a drum cadence intro. We hired a couple of local guys to come in and play the cadence: Greg, Curt Bisquera and Terry Bozzio. I can't wait to share!!

Paul

I just finished reading the whole thread about Greg Bissonette. The reason I did so is that he is doing a clinic here on Aug. 21 and I wanted more info about him. I am definately going, especially after reading all of this. The clinic starts at 5:00pm at the Norman Institute for the Performing Arts, 2795-B Broce Dr., Norman, Okla. There phone no. is 405/292-8400 for more details. Tickets are $10 and are on sale now. I hope it's OK for me to post this. If not, please just deleet it and chalk it up to my ignorance.

I just finished reading the whole thread about Greg Bissonette. The reason I did so is that he is doing a clinic here on Aug. 21 and I wanted more info about him. I am definately going, especially after reading all of this. The clinic starts at 5:00pm at the Norman Institute for the Performing Arts, 2795-B Broce Dr., Norman, Okla. There phone no. is 405/292-8400 for more details. Tickets are $10 and are on sale now. I hope it's OK for me to post this. If not, please just deleet it and chalk it up to my ignorance.

It was avery good in depth article. I have read every article I could about Gregg (favorite drummer/friend) and this was the best I have seen. It even went back to the DLR audition. I was lucky enough to have my girlfriend surprise me on my b-day two months by inviting Gregg to come for a BBQ the night before he left for Ringo auditions. I had my best friend and his son (drummer) out from Tenn. Gregg autographed his Mag and a drumhead and he wrote out the "Hot dog and a Shake" solo part on the drumhead. That was the tune Gregg learned for his DLR audition.....................anyway............ great guy, drummer and puts on a great clinic. Check out his wide variety of styles he has played w/different artists when you can.

Re: Gregg Bissonette, correction

Correction: Instead of Norman Institute for the Performing Arts, it's The Norman Music Institute - same address. Also, there will be door prizes given away. If anyone is going to attend, pm me and maybe we can get together beforehand.

Listen to "Shy Boy" from Eat 'Em and Smile
Awesome double bass work and fills.

Another nice groove is on "Big Trouble" Simple to play, but it is a great groove.
I have spoken with people who have met him and concur that he is absolutely humble and nice.

Ive had the pleasure of bumping into Gregg a couple of times & have to say he's one of the nicest, genuinely humble guys in drumming.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the Greg Bissonette clinic in Norman, Okla. is this Saturday at 5:00pm and there are still tickets available as of yesterday (see post below).

Well, the clinic was marvilous and he really is a nice guy. He's a great player and he was very forthcoming about his answers to questions. He had a lot of good Riingo stories, too. A good time was had by all.

He did let us in on the amazing secret of drumming. I'll tell you but you must keep a secret and tell no one. Are you ready? Well here it is.

Solos are not the most important part of drumming.
Isn't that amazing?

I want to thank Zickosdrummer for posting information about the Greg Bissonette clinic. I would have missed this if he hadn't. Greg came to Drum World in Tulsa a few years back but I was out of town and couldn't make it. It was a great clinic. Thanks again!

My teacher recently turned me on the the Maynard Ferguson Live in San Francisco DVD and Gregg is AMAZING in that CD! He is definitely one of my drumming heroes, do you guys know he is having a drum camp sometime in March?

My teacher recently turned me on the the Maynard Ferguson Live in San Francisco DVD and Gregg is AMAZING in that CD! He is definitely one of my drumming heroes, do you guys know he is having a drum camp sometime in March?

Gregg is my favorite drummer and a friend............ I did his discography on wikipedia...............I got the tape back in 1987...............but i didnt know there was a whole DVD.............and i know A LOT of his work...........I have seen a few clips on y.t..........dont know if thats the same video.
Yes he's doing a Drum Camp in Thousand oaks.
What work of Gregg's do you have?

Gregg is my favorite drummer and a friend............ I did his discography on wikipedia...............I got the tape back in 1987...............but i didnt know there was a whole DVD.............and i know A LOT of his work...........I have seen a few clips on y.t..........dont know if thats the same video.
Yes he's doing a Drum Camp in Thousand oaks.
What work of Gregg's do you have?

I have the Maynard Ferguson CD not DVD lol sorry about that. I recently have been getting into his solo albums and for years Supernatural by Santana was one of my favorite albums and had no idea he played on it! I also have his Musical Drumming DVD and have been watching it like crazy, just trying to soak up as much as humanly possible. I'm conteplating trying to make it to his Drum Camp (need the funds first). A little story on Gregg I randomly sent him a message on facebook telling him what a great drummer he is and how much I love the Ferguson live in San Fran album, he actually writes me back! That was an awesome moment; him (and my teacher) have inspired me to try learning different styles of drumming.

Indeed Gregg is a top bloke. I met him once at a PAS meeting when I was at the A.C.M in Guildford. Great guy and one seriously good drummer!!! .

Here's to you Gregg - shame all drummers aren't as nice as you mate!

TJ @ www.britchops.co.uk

Last edited:
I have the Maynard Ferguson CD not DVD lol sorry about that. I recently have been getting into his solo albums and for years Supernatural by Santana was one of my favorite albums and had no idea he played on it! I also have his Musical Drumming DVD and have been watching it like crazy, just trying to soak up as much as humanly possible. I'm conteplating trying to make it to his Drum Camp (need the funds first). A little story on Gregg I randomly sent him a message on facebook telling him what a great drummer he is and how much I love the Ferguson live in San Fran album, he actually writes me back! That was an awesome moment; him (and my teacher) have inspired me to try learning different styles of drumming.

I have all three of Greggs vhs/dvd.........The Drum Camp would be great.
Some of my favorite work Gregg has done.................Progressive rock:Shadrane;Temporal...........one of my favorite cd's ever... Gregg on 10 tunes, Virgil Donati on 3. Vox Tempus; In The Eye of Time
Fusion;Richie Kotzen;Inner Galactic Fusion Experience.............Jazz/Swing; Brandon Fields; The Other Side of The Story & Dan Ramsey; Gentle Giants.............Rock; Joe Satriani; The Extremist, Martin Mornik; Bass Invaders & Gary Hoey; Bug Alley.
Check em out at Spotify, itunes or Youtube.

I am seeing Gregg next Thursday with Ringo. I am front row center. Awesome!

I am seeing Gregg next Thursday with Ringo. I am front row center. Awesome!

You're in for a treat. I saw them last September. The whole band is amazing. I especially liked Gregg on the Santana stuff. Steve Lukather is unbeleivable on guitar and Mark Rivera is excellent on saxophone/keyboards/percussion. Enjoy the show.

Met him here in Florida at a clinic, won a door prize cymbal, he autographed it. Fun night. He can really tell some stories. Great drummer.

I was fortunate to see Greg play in person in Ringo's All Star Band last year at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. Had third row seats. Wow, getting to watch Greg play was so exciting. He is one of the best, and maybe the best drummer there is.

Back