Keep cracking cymbals?

rchess5

I keep cracking my cymbals! They are not the best cymbals out there which would probably have a lot to do with it. They are Zildjian ZHT's and Zildjian ZXT's (You know, the titanium coated ones that sound like shit?) I bought my kit used and I have no idea how the guy before me played with them. When I first got them, there wasn't much wrong with them. They had scratch marks all over, but thats about it. I have my cymbals all pretty loose, so they arent cracking from the tightness. I have them tilted towards me just a tiny bit, but for the most part, flat. I hit decently hard. If anyone could give me the answer to why they are cracking, that'd be awesome!

Thanks

Here are a few common causes:

Cymbals could be getting struck too much on the edge which means they are still too flat.

Technique, could be driving the stick through the cymbal instead of releasing on impact.

Striking the cymbal too hard in the attempt of achieving louder volumes past the cymbal's sonic capability.

Q.

Do any of your drum heads have dents in them? If they do, then technique is the main culprit.

I hit decently hard.

Thanks

Probably more 'indecently' hard. Cymbal cracking is usually a combination of poor height/positioning and incorrect hitting technique. Have the cymbal at a height where you can come down and through the cymbal. Don't have the cymbal at a flat enough angle where the stick is jarring into the cymbal. Watch to see if your wrist is in a dropped position as you play the stroke. If it is, lift it.

Only use cymbals suitable to the style you are required to play. If the cymbal is struggling to project, you may need to to change it. That said the ZHTs are entry level so I guess there's more of a chance of breakage whatever you do.

Probably more 'indecently' hard. Cymbal cracking is usually a combination of poor height/positioning and incorrect hitting technique. Have the cymbal at a height where you can come down and through the cymbal. Don't have the cymbal at a flat enough angle where the stick is jarring into the cymbal. Watch to see if your wrist is in a dropped position as you play the stroke. If it is, lift it.

Only use cymbals suitable to the style you are required to play. If the cymbal is struggling to project, you may need to to change it. That said the ZHTs are entry level so I guess there's more of a chance of breakage whatever you do.

Make sure you have sleeves on your cymbal stands no metal to metal contact & use felts, sleeves & felts take a lot of the shock off the cymbal & also sweep your cymbals don't go through them.

Bonzolead

Thanks for all the replies! I like my cymbals low and flat. About maybe a little over a foot from the level the toms are at. I know most of you can relate to this, that sometimes you just get into the song. And when I do that, I can start hitting pretty hard. So that might be the reason too. I did a little research and people say ZHT's are fairly easier to crack then most (higher end) cymbals. And would having headphones that block out almost all noise make me feel like I need to hit it harder?

I did a little research and people say ZHT's are fairly easier to crack then most (higher end) cymbals.

I've read similar things and whilst there's no doubt they are pure entry level cymbals and fall well short of the quality offered across pro level lines. I think it's a stretch to try and pin this one on the cymbals alone. For mine, it's well worth reassessing they way you're playing them.

It's certainly possible for any cymbal to break...it's not always a technique issue either, sometimes it just happens. But when I hear that someone "keeps breaking cymbals" to me that's a warning sign to check the player rather than blame the cymbal....cheap or otherwise. :)

I've read similar things and whilst there's no doubt they are pure entry level cymbals and fall well short of the quality offered across pro level lines. I think it's a stretch to try and pin this one on the cymbals alone. For mine, it's well worth reassessing they way you're playing them.

It's certainly possible for any cymbal to break...it's not always a technique issue either, sometimes it just happens. But when I hear that someone "keeps breaking cymbals" to me that's a warning sign to check the player rather than blame the cymbal....cheap or otherwise. :)

Definitely. I agree with lots of this. I just started drumming (Been playing for about a year now) And I play a looooot! I have cracked two crashes now.

Yeah, there are basically two reasons for cracked cymbals. One, bad angle/technique and two, that you're hitting way too hard. Some can make the cheapest of cymbals last for a long time. Just try tilting the cymbal down just a hair and see what happens.

Ease off the gas mate, cymbals are loud you dont need to hit them fairly hard as you do your drums. The sole reason why you are breaking them is because you are hitting them too hard and probably playing into them. You can get away with playing into to drum providing your beatin hell into them, but you cant play into cymbals. The angle doesnt make much difference provding your not playing into them.

One word to add to this,
Finesse!
Cool word, It is both a noun and a verb.

finesse |fəˈnes|
noun
1 intricate and refined delicacy : orchestral playing of great finesse.
• artful subtlety, typically that needed for tactful handling of a difficulty : clients want advice and action that calls for considerable finesse.
• subtle or delicate manipulation : a certain amount of finesse is required to fine-tune the heat output.
2 (in bridge and whist) an attempt to win a trick with a card that is not a certain winner.
verb [ trans. ]
1 do (something) in a subtle and delicate manner : his third shot, which he attempted to finesse, failed by a fraction.
• slyly attempt to avoid blame or censure when dealing with (a situation or action) : the administration's attempts to finesse its mishaps.
2 (in bridge and whist) play (a card that is not a certain winner) in the hope of winning a trick with it : the declarer finesses ♦J.
ORIGIN late Middle English (in the sense [purity, delicacy] : from French, related to fine 1 .

D o you have them tightened down so that they don't move. Loosen up the wing nuts.

Use one ear phone or place them on your head not completely closing your ears off to the drums. If the cymbals you have are what you can afford then take care of them. The harder you hit doesn't make them louder every cymbal has a threshold and you need to find yours if volumn is what you want. If you hit a drum as hard as you can your most likely getting a bad sound as opposed to finding the correct amount of attack to get the best sound that the drum can offer. Playing drums lends to "touch" the first thing you learn is that touch translates to "smart". Cymbals get expensive and even expensive ones break the "smart" drums learn that heads, sticks and obviously cymbals need care. I used to break stinks when I was young now my hits are focused and the right amount of "touch" is used so the sticks simply "wear" out. Splinters everywhere hahahaha!!! mini tooth picks!! Point I'm making is this gear gets expensive so you need to care for your kit.
Doc

I know most of you can relate to this, that sometimes you just get into the song. And when I do that, I can start hitting pretty hard. So that might be the reason too.

I like to stress that whatever it is, it's probably the player above anything else.

Work on self control and observe everything you do when you strike a cymbal, including the velocity and dynamic level and all that. Once you've toned down the action to something acceptable and you're still breaking stuff, then it's the gear.

Back