Bass Drum Mic

Lukas73

Hi all,

I need your input....I'm delving into the world of Bass drum Mics.....and I'm in need of guidance.....I have a budget of around £150, I've heard the AKG D112 is decent, along with Shure Beta?....

anyway...all input is gratefully received.

cheers!!

The D112 is a great all round BD mic. A little flatter & therefore slightly "old school" compared to the Shure, & especially the Audix offering, that's very "dialled in" modern kick sound. Out of the three main contenders at that price point, I prefer the D112. An outsider you may wish to consider, & save yourself some money too, is the EV PL33. I love the PL series of drum mic's. Every bit as good as the AKG/Shure/Audix stuff IMO. Beautifully made, great punch & control of the mid range. If you keep your reso intact, then this will serve you well, & cost you around £90 or less.

Well I just got my Sennheiser Pro Pack III kit. Let me tell you that these are beautiful looking, and sounding Mics. The e902 bass mic sounds great. Reproduces the bass drum quite naturally, and is built like a tank. It is all black, and looks great.

All my recordings I've been using an old Shure SM58 vocal mic. It sounds great. Especially after you discover where to put it (which you would have to do with every mic anyway) and dial it in on a semi-decent console. I love how the technology can now produce a great bass drum mic, but in reality it's all in how the tool is used. The Shure SM57 excels at alot of things too.

All my recordings I've been using an old Shure SM58 vocal mic. It sounds great. Especially after you discover where to put it (which you would have to do with every mic anyway) and dial it in on a semi-decent console. I love how the technology can now produce a great bass drum mic, but in reality it's all in how the tool is used. The Shure SM57 excels at alot of things too.

I used an SM58 on my 16" bass drum a while back - about 4 inches from the head at about 10 O'clock just off-centre. On a highly-tuned, smaller bass drum the SM58 is really very effective.

D6 Audix for me with KellyShu and may conn. It's very simple to dial in, not much mid but if you want fat punch for live work it hits the mark. All others mentioned here are tried and tested mics and are excellent choices without question.

Well I just got my Sennheiser Pro Pack III kit. Let me tell you that these are beautiful looking, and sounding Mics. The e902 bass mic sounds great. Reproduces the bass drum quite naturally, and is built like a tank. It is all black, and looks great.

I have the Sennheiser e602 mounted on a Kelly Shu with a full reso head on my 6-ply maple Ludwig Classic bass drum. It's pretty wicked awesome. Very consistent sound from room to room.

I left it mounted while a moving company packed up my gear and drove it a few hundred miles and the mic didn't move a hair. AWESOME!

I have the Sennheiser e602 mounted on a Kelly Shu with a full reso head on my 6-ply maple Ludwig Classic bass drum. It's pretty wicked awesome. Very consistent sound from room to room.

I left it mounted while a moving company packed up my gear and drove it a few hundred miles and the mic didn't move a hair. AWESOME!
I have been looking at getting the Shu. Which one did you buy, the composite, or the aluminum.

Back