what heads to get for a good rock/metal sound?

THRASHDRUMS

im in need of new heads for all my drums but not sure on what to get. I play mostly hard rock/heavy metal such as: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Black Sabbath...
My kits a pdp x7 series. 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" toms, 22" bass, 14" snare

Most everyone will say Remo Emperors over Ambassadors or Evans G2s over G1s... Whether or not you want the heads to be coated or not is up to you. More attack/slightly more sustain, go for clear, less attack and more warmth, go for coated.

Can't go wrong with those combinations, apparently.

As chaos said, most people will tell you emperors over ambassadors or G2's over G1's, i personally use the emperors (clear) over ambassadors (also clear) at the moment, although next head change i'm going to cry coated emperors. Depends whether you want the attack or the warmth of the drums to show through :)

Hope this helps, George.

I currently run Pinstripes top, Ambassadors bottom, with the Remo Powersonic on the bass batter and an Ambassador on the snare. Sounds great in the house, with cut and sustain where you need it.

You might try ambassadors/G1s on the small toms 8 and 10, then on the bigger toms use a two ply head like an emperor or G2. Smaller drums are a bit more controlled sounding and a two ply head can be too much for them I've found.

You might try ambassadors/G1s on the small toms 8 and 10, then on the bigger toms use a two ply head like an emperor or G2. Smaller drums are a bit more controlled sounding and a two ply head can be too much for them I've found.

This is also true. Good call :)

I need to buy new heads for my drums and I don't know which to buy. I usually buy Remo Pinstripe clears and wanted to know if there is any other heads that will give me a better sound. I am in a band and I want a Godsmack sounds from my drums. I have a Pearl Export Series 5 piece Kit and I do mic my drums. Any suggestions for heads?

I have the same kit as you and I play in a metal band. On all my toms I use coated G1s on top and bottom. The PDP X7 shells are shallow so I found that 2 ply heads didn't give any resonance and clear skins sound plasticy and tinny.

If you want to beef the toms up a bit do it with O-Rings or Moon Gel. Don't limit your sound from the word go by putting 2 ply heads on - you can always take away resonance, you can't add it.

(On my bass drum I use an Evans EMAD with the really light pillow that comes with drums)

Back