Dave Lombardo- Slayer
Igor Cavalera- Cavalera conspiracy, Sepultura
Vinnie Paul- Pantera, Damageplan, Hell Yeah
Jason Bittner- In Flames
John Boeklin- DevilDriver
Jon Rice- Job For Cowboy
Lars Ulrich- Metallica
Thomas Haake- Meshuggah

Many more but those are the main ones I try to copy styles from.

has no one ever heard ofVITEK?!?!

oh yeah and tomas haake obvs
haake = sweet chops, mad time sigs AND he can groove like a motherb*tch!
:p

Yeah, Vitek was one of the best metal drummers of the recent age, but I feel people are just jumping on the "R.I.P Vitek" bandwagon just to gain 'metal' cred (as they did/are still doing with Dimebag Darrell) ....

I'm one of those odd balls who finds something listen-able & learn-able in all drummers. It hard for me to dislike a pro drummer, regardless of genres.. Metal, Screamo, etc are not my thing at all, but I really enjoy listening to Derek Roddy and Chris Adler.

I've also had the good fortune of meeting & hanging with some of the best and they are all not only great musicians, but very inspirational people too.

Sure, there might be some megalomaniacal boy kings of Babylon out there, but man, I haven't met one yet!

Good guys, drummers...mostly..

Does anybody remember Bobby Caldwell from Captain Beyond?

A Thousand Days of Yesterday in particular....though I guess you'd call that "flower power metal"......

Hello, All.

In metal terms are:

Old (template) generation: William (Bill) Ward - Black Sabbath.

New generation: Ivan de Prume - White Zombie, John Tempesta - White/Rob Zombie, Dave Holland/Scott Travis - Judas Priest, Nick Menza - Megadeth, Tony Richards/Steve Riley - WASP, Randy Castillo - Ozzy Osbourne, Brian Downey - Thin Lizzy, Rob (Wacko) Hunter - Raven.

Cordially!

Yeah, Vitek was one of the best metal drummers of the recent age, but I feel people are just jumping on the "R.I.P Vitek" bandwagon just to gain 'metal' cred (as they did/are still doing with Dimebag Darrell) ....

i know exactly what you mean man, half my friends are 'metalheads', or so they say;
"omgomgomgomgomg SLIPKNOT <3"

... you know the type
and as soon as Witold kicks the bucket, they're like,
"MMMM I LOVE DAT VITEK, SLAYER ARE THE BEST!!!!!"

....decapitated, dude.

although i must say, i don't have that much experience with dimebag's playing.

That kid from Hanson? after that IMO-Danny Carey,Martin Lopez, Brann Daylor, Matt Mcdonough, more. Can anyone really be the "best"? No, these are just MY favorites....

my fav's
1 derek roddy-hate etenal.
2 gene hoglan-strapping young lad
3 george kollias-nile
4 vinnie-paul abbot-pantera,damageplan,rebel ,meets rebel
5 tomas haake-meshuggah
6 sojo-Exit strategy(from this site, he amazes me)
7 dave lombardo-slayer.fantomas
8 ray herrera-fear factory
9 jacob green-the red shore ( www.myspace.com/theredshore ) check them out,if you like metal.
10 chris adler-Lamb of god

1. blake richardson - between the buried and me
2. jason bittner - shadows fall
3. mark castillo - bury your dead (formerly between the buried and me's drummer)
4. shannon lucas - the black dahlia murder
5. brian hood - mychildren mybride
6. shawn cameron - carnifex
7. chris adler - lamb of god
8. ben gordon - parkway drive

i know it said "drummer" but i decided i'd name several.

Does anybody remember Bobby Caldwell from Captain Beyond?

A Thousand Days of Yesterday in particular....though I guess you'd call that "flower power metal"......

hey, i have a captain beyond cd...their first i believe, rod evans on vocals: original deep purple singer. ya like uriah heep? lee kerslake could thump.

chris adler, jason bittner, and joey jordison

Lars Ulrich!

Why?

Let me tell you kids...

Maybe you missed "written by Lars Ulrich and James Hetfield" next to almost every Metallica song.

In a future.. do you really think that anyone will remember (or listen) to any of the pointless machine gun alike double bass pounding made by your so called "cool drummers"... and their so called "songs"
The answer is NO!.. thing that will remain are musical masterpieces like Metallica albums.. and Lars Ulrich's drumming style that gave those songs the pulse.

Why do you kids think that something played really fast with double kick is sooo coool and Heavy?.. Does that mean that one of the heaviest metal songs ever "For whom the bell tolls" or "Sad but true" are crap by default?

What makes a great musician is songmaking and playing capabilities, NOT a circus acts "1000 bpm" double bass speed freaks, rotating pentagram seats, makeup, and all the other fast playing crap...

Who gives a crap about blast beats and "super ultra mega giga fast playing double bass"?? Who likes that anyway.. except adolescents (aka drummers) pissed off because of a big zit on their face, or because they cant fu*k prettiest girl in school. Ulrich could play that crap too.. but I believe that he never found a place in a song for that so called "beat".
Understand that music is not a speed competition!! You are not great drummer (or musician) if you play 600 bpm!! Try to listen more to a song and not just how fast is someone drumming. Does that mean, that some songs and albums are "kick ass" just because drummer is using a double bass alot.. disregarding the fact that those same songs in a whole sound like a sh*t?

Anyway, what makes Ulrich way better from all the other metal drummers are those great songs he wrote over the years, and the way he played them.. Noone so far could play his songs better than himself.. many have tried and failed. I dont believe that anyone on this thread thinks that, for example, Lang, Lombardo or Jordison could think of better way to play "Hit the lights", "Battery", "Dyers eve", "Frayed ends of sanity", etc..

To me.. compared to Ulrich many other drummers look like a drum sample modules, just rhythm machines, playing crappy songs really fast. Enough said.

(P.S. For all the Lars haters: this post is not about L.Ulrich, his acts, statements nor his personality, just about great musician, song author and drummer)

Last edited:
Back