I smelled something burning!

mcbike

Silver Member
So I was at my gig last night playing away and I smelled something burning and I wasn't sure what to do but I just kept playing and I started looking around trying to find the source of the smell. I looked behind me and saw the lights behind me had fallen down and one of the lights was directly on my cymbal case and my cymbal case was melting! I reached back and yanked the power cord out for the light and finished the song. I was really worried becuase I had extra cymbals inside the case and I was worried that it was going to melt all the way through.

At the end of the set I checked it out and it didn't burn through the 2nd layer of the case, but it did melt the handle off my case! I'm pretty bummed about my case, but it could have been much worse. It sucks becuase I'm leaving for tour next week and I don't really feel like shelling out for a new case, I might just leave it how it is until I get back from tour.

4667317228_16cf731f04_o.jpg

That sucks man...but at least it didn't fall on you or your kit!!! I was watching a local band here one evening and one of the speakers fell off the stack and landed on a keyboardist!! Dude was hurt pretty bad...so at least in this instance it was only a casualty of the case.

Hey, if the case still works, don't be so worried!

And the others are right, be thankful the lights didn't fall on you, or worse, your kit!

Your case did what it was supposed to do!

Let's have a moment of silence for mcbike's Protechtor Case, which sacrificed itself in the line of duty...

"Mcbike's Protechtor Case, we barely knew ye, yet your life was given protecting precious bronze. May ye rest in peace."

A strange and unfortunate accident. Were they your band's lights? Otherwise I'd ask the venue owner to help pay.

Wow, that thing looks pretty messed up. If the case still functions though i would not worry about it. When you have money, get a new one, just be content your case is not totally gone.

Your case did what it was supposed to do!

Let's have a moment of silence for mcbike's Protechtor Case, which sacrificed itself in the line of duty...

"Mcbike's Protechtor Case, we barely knew ye, yet your life was given protecting precious bronze. May ye rest in peace."

A strange and unfortunate accident. Were they your band's lights? Otherwise I'd ask the venue owner to help pay.

Hey, if the case still works, don't be so worried!

And the others are right, be thankful the lights didn't fall on you, or worse, your kit!

Yeah, who cares about 3rd Degree burns as long as your kit is okay...

I would gladly sacrifice myself for my kit.

And THAT's why we have cases in the first place! Go mcbike!

Over on the prosoundweb forum, they are really, really adamant about anything hung overhead being done properly with rated stuff. The liability is whoever hung it up there.

Anything hung overhead like lights or speakers is supposed to have a safety wire. So if the clamp on a PAR light loosens up and comes off the truss, the safety wire will keep it from falling on the ground or worse yet, somebody.

This is serious business, and people hanging things overhead need to learn to do things right. As folks said, fortunately it only landed on your case, and not you. But whoever hung that light up there owes you a new case.

Yeah, who cares about 3rd Degree burns as long as your kit is okay...

I would gladly sacrifice myself for my kit.

I hope it's obvious I was joking...

Just my "Swiss" point of view:

Who installed the lights? If not you yourself and you didn't change something on the light installation for the gig there should be a liability of the owner. A third party liability insurance or something?

Anyway, the owner should pay the damage, if he has no insurance: his problem.... - not a new case, but the time value (How old was it - so 50% or so...)

Bernhard

Bummer about the case cost, McBike. Hopefully someone will fork out for it other than you.

Worst I saw was seeing a kick drum burst into flames on stage because of the spotlights placed close on either side. Talk about a showstopper ... much fantic roadie work followed.

Good idea to have LEDs, Andy. Those cans get so hot. I remember one time feeling like my back was burning due to a couple of cans above and behind blasting heat on me. Not much fun!

If this was a US venue, several agencies would be very interested. OSHA, the local fire marshal and the local code enforcement officer. The venue owner owes you a replacement case, and is up for big fines in addition to getting someone to re-rig the lights properly. This is not a game or joke. Since the Great White fire, local authorities have been much more on the ball with bar and club owners putting up half baked installations. Go to the venue owner and ask as nicely as you can with the velvet hammer that he should reimburse you for the case. And "suggest" that before anything else bad happens, he get someone who knows what they're doing to re-rig things. Otherwise one of the local AHJ (authorities having jurisdiction, the phrase pros use to describe the guy that can shut them down) will be paying a visit.

Kind of like calling the health inspector after being in a ratty restaurant where you got food poisoning.

The next light may fall on someone dear to you.

It was my own bands lights, so I'm not going to sue my band over a $100 case? I'm going to push for led's though. I hate the hot lights anyways, and the bulbs are always breaking we could have paid for the led's by now for all the times we had to buy bulbs and gels, not to mention my case.

Back