Low Snare Stands

0127frey

I'm looking for a Snare stand that will go down low to enable me to use my 13"x7" Snare,I have had a go using the Pearl Rubbers that go on stands but its to much of a squeeze with the stand i have,So i'm down to two stand at the moment,The "Pearl S930D" and the "Tama HS70LOW",Any opinions,and any suggestions of any other stands that might do the job,Thanks.

The Pearl S930D stand is the one I use. It's a great, sturdy, roadworthy stand. I've had mine since at least '07, maybe longer.

I had an ATLAS Pro too, and it was a great, quality stand.
I sold it, mainly because the leg of the stand I have my tom in (a FB snare stand), the leg goes under the snare drum, and it didn't fit as well without jogging things around too much. The space of the stand between the floor, and the base tube (where the legs connect) was shorter by enough that I had a problem.

With the Pearl stand, everything always worked great, and easily, so I went back to it.
Other than that, the ATLAS is a great "low" stand, and another option.

This what I use on tour, but I also keep one at home for 'deep' snares. And by deep, I mean 10 & 12"! The stand goes really low, and it's really solid.

There's another cool thing, and specifically why I use it on the road (even though I'm playing a 6.5" that will sit low enough with pretty much any stand.) The snare clamps/claws/grips, whatever they're called, adjust long each's arm. That allows you to kind of move the drum itself without moving the stand, which gives a little freedom with stand placement between the kick pedal, hi-hat, and throne leg. But it also lets you 'center' the drum over the stand's base & upright post, so that it's not offset as with the majority of heavy-duty stands. The benefit is, the stand won't 'walk' while you play, because the drum is centered and the force is evenly distributed downward through the base, instead of off to the side.

My snare hasn't moved EVER since being on this stand!

As for going low, here's a pic from a recent video, that's a 10x14" marching snare on the stand, at a pretty normal playing height. There's about 2" more travel left in the top portion of the stand (if you remove the memory clamp), meaning it will also accommodate a 12" deep snare.

rwbkit.jpg

The stand may seem expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Bermuda

A couple friends have that snare stand and really like it a lot too.

I wish the spot where that leg sits wouldn't have been in the way for me.
I just had the standard Pro stand, not the adjustable basket version.

10" depth snares have been getting more popular these days. They do sound cool :)

That Atlas Pro II stand looked amazing, and will hold smaller snares lower because you can shrink the basket.
My 4' 8" son uses a Gibraltar 9606 stand with a 5.5x14 snare, and it could go lower if he needed it to. He was actually shorter when we bought it. I think it would even work for a 7x13 for him, but if not, that Atlas Pro II certainly would.

The Gibraltar cost me under $80 a year ago, but is closer to $100 now.
The Atlas Pro II is $160, and looks like the ultimate low stand for small and deep drums.
The Pearl S930D looks very similar to the Gibraltar and Tama stands and is clearly the best bargain of the 4 low basket designs I'm mentioning in this post, because I saw it for under $60 when I searched. I assume it's comparable quality to the Gibraltar and Tama stands.
Tama is priced about the same as the Gibraltar I mentioned.

The other Gibraltar stand someone mentioned is significantly tall the 9606, but if you're not under 5' tall, might also be fine and is even less $ than the Pearl.

Back