Muso movies

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I watched a good part of 'The Benny Goodman Story', staring Jimmy Stewart, a couple of nights ago. I was flipping channels....saw Gene playing.....and got caught watching for the next hour!!

Probably a bit 'left of centre' to what Polly was getting at....but Krupa and Satchmo actually playing themselves in the same movie.....'nuff said!!

EDIT: I've made a mess of this......the Jimmy Stewart movie I was referring to was actually The Glenn Miller Story!
The Benny Goodman Story is another movie starring Steve Allen that also features Gene. Apols Poll.

I love those old films, the Dorsey brothers, Man with a horn etc etc. I think it comes from having a big band singing mother who was in love with Krupa.

Do documentaries count?

The movie Standing in the Shadows of Motown.

It is the story of The Funk Brothers, a group of session musicians who...quote: "having played on more number-one hits than The Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, and The Beach Boys combined."

Really good, you should watch it if you are a soul, motown or (old school) R&B fan.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit, but I watched a good part of 'The Benny Goodman Story', staring Jimmy Stewart, a couple of nights ago. I was flipping channels....saw Gene playing.....and got caught watching for the next hour!!

Probably a bit 'left of centre' to what Polly was getting at....but Krupa and Satchmo actually playing themselves in the same movie.....'nuff said!!

EDIT: I've made a mess of this......the Jimmy Stewart movie I was referring to was actually The Glenn Miller Story!
The Benny Goodman Story is another movie starring Steve Allen that also features Gene. Apols Poll.

Possibly some of the first "music video" performances with mass media effect... just as thousands of people picked up the drums watching Ringo on Ed Sullivan, how many people walked away from either of these movies, after watching Gene savage his kit mercilessly, and said, "Man, that's what I want to do?" Probably nearly as many.

Good choices all so far on this thread.

Job Cain!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74MvcFBLJdY

GB

Guess what, the soundtrack on this clip is actually Earl Palmer. The sound was screwed up and it was given to Earl to fix. He looked at the producer and said "Are you kidding? Do you know how hard that is? That's Elvin Jones!"

To which the producer simply said "Earl, we need to get it done."

So grumbling, Earl took the cinefilm machine and transcription paper into a small room and spent 2 to 3 hours transcribing the solo. He then recorded it in one take.

Earl Palmer was The Man! The only drummer Buddy Rich ever hired.

Read the Earl Palmer biography, Backbeat. Earl Palmer is one of the greatest drummers that ever lived. I love him!

Guess what, the soundtrack on this clip is actually Earl Palmer. The sound was screwed up and it was given to Earl to fix. He looked at the producer and said "Are you kidding? Do you know how hard that is? That's Elvin Jones!"

So grumbling, Earl took the cinefilm machine and transcription paper into a small room and spent 2 to 3 hours transcribing the solo. He then recorded it in one take.

Read the Earl Palmer biography, Backbeat. Earl Palmer is one of the greatest drummers that ever lived. I love him!

Thats awesome, I like little stories similar to that.

This is true, I just couldn't remember who did the overdubbing. However, it's clearly Elvin who shoots the guy...

GB

Great music movies

Saw "The Blues Brothers" last night. It's been a while since I saw it. Good music movie.
Also, "The Last Waltz" is another favorite.

Re: Great music movies

I could go on and on.
So many great music flicks.
My fav is "The Commitments"
I really related to that film.

Does it have to be a movie about music? If not, then Ghost Dog Way of the Samurai.

The first thing I can think of is "Rockstar" with Mark Wahlberg.. hehe. Good fun movie. Must have seen on tv like 20 times by now and it always gets me, lol. :p

And the other "music movie" I think about right now is that one with this goof-guy (don't know his name) who's a middle-aged drummer and tours with a bunch of kids.. and drummed naked.. Anyway, don't even mind watching it, it's totally stupid. (and actually kinda makes us look like idiots).

Cheers

Back