It's Official...

You mean because it took so long for them to nominate Rush? Agreed.

The rock and roll hall of fame has always been a joke.

About time. 3rd biggest sellers behind Beatles and Stones.

Donna Summer deserved to be in years ago. While Chic was excellent and years ahead of their time, they really ain't Rock.

The HOF may be a joke but what passes as today's Top 40 is pathetic. Autotune, Pitch Correct my arse.

From the linked article: "Deep Purple, the English blues-rockers behind Smoke on the Water (and whose drummer Ian Paice told me earlier this year the accolade is so long overdue he would prefer to decline)"

LOL! That is so funny! I totally understand. Go get 'em, Ian!

I notice Rush's carefully worded statement is understated and classy (as one would expect), but it definitely puts the emphasis on the fans who've wanted them in for so long.

No DP, Heart or Rush, but the Beastie Boys are in? That place gets stupider every year.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Chic
Deep Purple
Heart
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
Albert King
Kraftwerk
The Marvelettes
The Meters
Randy Newman
N.W.A
Procol Harum
Public Enemy

Well, at least a couple of these bands play rock n roll. Who's picking these people, Snooky?

How did Public Enemy and N.W.A get on this list? What do they have to do with R&R?

Call me crazy but i don't even know who Kraftwerk, The Meters and Randy Newman is! Maybe they was before my time. lol

They should call it the Rap & Roll H.O.F.....lol....I hope Deep Purple does decline they've been way overdue....totally shocked they even recognize RUSH.

OK i'm done..lol

Bonzolead

Call me crazy but i don't even know who Kraftwerk, The Meters and Randy Newman is! Maybe they was before my time. lol

Kraftwerks and the Meters fall into the category of bands that influenced tons of other bands more than they achieved mainstream success. You may not have heard of them, but bands you have heard of them cite them as influences. So in that extent, I get it.

As for Randy Newman, I have no idea how he's even in the conversation.

Of course I was speaking ( writing ? ) facetiously when I posted this , given the history of this forum and the fact that this has been a long running complaint for Rush fans.
It doesn't matter much to me either way. Maybe because I'll never be inducted. *sniff *

Kraftwerks and the Meters fall into the category of bands that influenced tons of other bands more than they achieved mainstream success. You may not have heard of them, but bands you have heard of them cite them as influences. So in that extent, I get it.

Just went over to Youtube and searched all three of these bands/people. After about one minute of hearing Kraftwerks i realized where we got all this Dubstep music we get today ( Skrillex anyone?) which i hate..JMO. The Meters is a funk band, which is something i can tolerate but not something i would run out to buy or pay to see live. They actually had a few songs i could listen to though.

As for Randy Newman, I have no idea how he's even in the conversation.

Found this. This song had the most views so i clicked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

I'll swear i've heard this guy sing other songs in movies. I just can't put my finger on it yet. lol But i agree, i don't know how he got nominated either.

Just went over to Youtube and searched all three of these bands/people. After about one minute of hearing Kraftwerks i realized where we got all this Dubstep music we get today ( Skrillex anyone?) which i hate..JMO. The Meters is a funk band, which is something i can tolerate but not something i would run out to buy or pay to see live. They actually had a few songs i could listen to though.

Found this. This song had the most views so i clicked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

I'll swear i've heard this guy sing other songs in movies. I just can't put my finger on it yet. lol But i agree, i don't know how he got nominated either.

Randy Newman is a multiple Grammy, Emmy, and Academy award winning singer, song writer , score composer .

he has been putting out records and collaborating with artists since the late 60s

how should he not be in the conversation?

.....and the Meters " had a few songs i could listen to though." ???

are you a drummer?

Imagine a typical Hard Rock cafe, only they don't serve food, but charge you $20 to get in.

they serve food

I actually had an amazing experience in the building recently

spent 3 hours in there and was very moved by a lot of the things I saw

have you been ?

How did Public Enemy and N.W.A get on this list? What do they have to do with R&R?

do you not now that the Beastie Boys were inducted

Hip Hop is Rock N Roll at its very core

always has been always will be

Randy Newman is a multiple Grammy, Emmy, and Academy award winning singer, song writer , score composer .

he has been putting out records and collaborating with artists since the late 60s

how should he not be in the conversation?

.....and the Meters " had a few songs i could listen to though." ???

are you a drummer?

It just doesn't sound like R&R to me or what i would say defines R&R. I'm glad the guy has had a successful career. Beleive me, i wish no artist any bad luck. But again, what he sings just doesn't scream R&R to me. But that's just my opinion.

Back