what are these called? (vintage bass hardware question)

tbmills

Gold Member
seems like older bass drums have a lug system that doesnt allow for difference tensions on each head. for each pair of claws one has threading and one has the wingnut.

i have been wanting a 26 or 28 inch bass drum for sometime now. the one i found and like is missing one of these hardware pieces. what are they called and does anyone know where to find them?

thanks guys,
taylor

Attachments

• ludwigbass.png
    ludwigbass.png
    160.2 KB · Views: 195
TAMA have released a similar thing quite recently don't know if they still do it called "omni tune" or something which is pretty much like this but more posh. And very expensive!

seems like older bass drums have a lug system that doesnt allow for difference tensions on each head. for each pair of claws one has threading and one has the wingnut.

i have been wanting a 26 or 28 inch bass drum for sometime now. the one i found and like is missing one of these hardware pieces. what are they called and does anyone know where to find them?

thanks guys,
taylor

Its called 'Single Tension' or "Rod Tension'. The opposite claw is threaded, so when you turn the rod, tension is applied to both heads.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...-vintage-bass-drum-rods-12-W0QQAdIdZ122241387

TAMA have released a similar thing quite recently don't know if they still do it called "omni tune" or something which is pretty much like this but more posh. And very expensive!

omni tune allows for seperate tuning of each head from the batter side tension rod.

these single tension rods will make both head carry the same tension. much like a rope tightened drum...

and yes dmc, i like that there are only 12 lug holes in the shell.

omni tune allows for seperate tuning of each head from the batter side tension rod.

these single tension rods will make both head carry the same tension. much like a rope tightened drum...

and yes dmc, i like that there are only 12 lug holes in the shell.

Sleishman drums also offers floating, independently-tuned heads.

As for the single tension rod concept, tbmills, yeah, it does appear to be a refinement of traditional rope tuning. What is it like to tune?

no no... i found this one online and have not yet bought it. i wanted to know how easily it would be to replace that missing part.
id imagine it is not fun to tune...

Back