Mesh Practice Heads

cwignall

Hello!

Just got some mesh practice heads for my in house kit for quiet practice.

Great low volume however I have found them to be very bouncy. In fact I almost prefer my mutes for feel however again they were a bit noisy for evening practice.

Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas on how to set them up or is it just the nature of the beast?

Thanks

Yeah, I outfitted my Sonor Safari kit with mesh heads for quiet practice and that's definitely the nature of the beast. It's a trade-off - I got to practice at any hour during a day and nobody would hear me - so it was a fair trade. You just have to balance it enough with playing on your regular kit and then the more you do it, the smaller that physical jump seems to be every time.

In fact, I've recommended to friends and even people here on Drummerworld that if you were looking for a mesh head kit to practice on, getting a Sonor Safari (at $340) and a set of mesh heads (around $50) is still cheaper than getting the Pearl Rhythm Traveler (which suck as a regular drumset, btw).

Cool thanks.

I probably jam on the mesh kit 3 times a week at home with a full practice with the band once a week.

i try to do rudiments etc on a hard pad so the mesh is simply for practicing songs and movement around the kit.

Do you think that the extra bounce will hinder me at all? I have a theory that learning to control the extra bounce would be beneficial.

....Do you think that the extra bounce will hinder me at all?...

I think it would not be good if you come to rely on it, and expect it to be there on standard heads.

I make my own mesh heads from solar screen, and yes, they have a lot more bounce. Like Bo says, balance it with time on a standard kit. I use brushes more now when I need to cut the practice noise level down.

I have a theory that learning to control the extra bounce would be beneficial.

Actually, the extra bounce can be quite deceptive, leading you to believe that your hands are in better shape than what they really are. That level of rebound is simply not there on a drum head and many people struggle after playing mesh heads on an e-kit and then realising they don't have the same ability on a drum head. They're great for keeping the noise down, but don't neglect a real drum as often as you can either. Check some of the e-drum threads here. This sort of thing comes up often and guys are forced into the rude awakening that they don't have the speed, strength or control that they thought they had.

Back