DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-28-2015, 05:26 AM

Default Re: Billy Cobham

Anyone check out his live stream at Ronnie Scotts tonight?

Looks like an entirely new international band; I saw him not too long ago during his 'spectrum 40' shows with Gary Husband on keys and that outfit was cooking.

Anyway, it was a good show. Billy's new Tama kit sound great (love the tone of his floor toms and snare especially). I don't know how much longer the set will be offered online but check it out if you get a chance:

At the 1 hour 13 minute mark of the webcast he really opens up with a vintage Billy groove...

http://www.ronniescotts.co.uk/
Old 08-09-2015, 12:41 AM

Billy is great, "number one" influence in the early 70´s drum comunity, and still going strong at over seventy years old!!!

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 08-09-2015 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:50 PM

stumbled upon this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TaaCkjoITQ

Billy Cobham's Spectrum (Kongsberg, 1974) (c) NRK

Billy COBHAM (dr), John ABERCROMBIE (git), Michael BRECKER (s), Randy BRECKER (t), Glenn
FERRIS (trb), Alex BLAKE (b), Milchu LEVIEV (kbd).

"The pleasant Pheasant" "Red Baron" (B. Cobham).

Kongsberg Jazzfestival, Norway, 1974. From the NRK (c)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Awesome View Post
stumbled upon this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TaaCkjoITQ

Billy Cobham's Spectrum (Kongsberg, 1974) (c) NRK

Billy COBHAM (dr), John ABERCROMBIE (git), Michael BRECKER (s), Randy BRECKER (t), Glenn
FERRIS (trb), Alex BLAKE (b), Milchu LEVIEV (kbd).

"The pleasant Pheasant" "Red Baron" (B. Cobham).

Kongsberg Jazzfestival, Norway, 1974. From the NRK (c)
Just watched this last night. Legendary players in that band and really cool to see Billy's very physical brand of musical expression at a time when he was "it" in the realm of fusion. As a kid, I remember listening to "Spectrum" on cassette tape, over and over. I saw him with his Spectrum 40 band a couple of years ago (sat about 8 feet away from him on the side of the stage) and he's still got it!
Old 08-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Just watched this last night. Legendary players in that band and really cool to see Billy's very physical brand of musical expression at a time when he was "it" in the realm of fusion. As a kid, I remember listening to "Spectrum" on cassette tape, over and over. I saw him with his Spectrum 40 band a couple of years ago (sat about 8 feet away from him on the side of the stage) and he's still got it!
Billy was the first non-rock drummer I really checked out, courtesy of a good friend who turned me on to playing drums as a teen. I had Billy's "Best Of" record, which I also wore out and often slowed down with my thumb (not a great idea) to figure out what the hell he was doing. Stratus (off Spectrum) and Pleasant Pheasant were my favorites.

I also saw Billy on the Spectrum 40 tour at Music Hall in Detroit. Were you there, too, spleen? Incredible show, amazing energy, and all this despite the fact Billy was feeling very much under the weather. I got an autographed CD and also made an awkward attempt to chat with Gary Husband (who played keys) about Drummerworld. Gary is such a cool, gracious cat that I didn't even feel too bad about how clumsy I was about it.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Billy was the first non Neil Peart drummer I checked out after a friend turned me on to Mahavishnu Orchestra in the early 90's. Check out this drummer....why I thought, he's not Neil Peart, Neil Peart is the best...ah to be young and all knowing again.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post

I also saw Billy on the Spectrum 40 tour at Music Hall in Detroit. Were you there, too, spleen?
Wasn't there Larry, saw him in Chicago. I think it was either the day before or day after he was in Detroit.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51 PM

I had the good fortune the other night to catch a performance of the Billy Cobham Crosswinds Project, in eastern, Pennsylvania. The reworking of the classic 1974 release, sounded wonderful in the year of 2018, as well as inside the décor of the vintage & historical theatre that [they] played in. Great show from the legend and his supporting musicians. As for the sound & tone of Billy's TAMA drums & SABIAN cymbals, oh they sounded so good! It is nice and refreshing every once in a while when seeing live events, that such sound is obtainable. What a treat! Some photos from the event can be seen here -

https://longtrailahead.blogspot.com/...s-project.html
Old 04-08-2018, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Not too far from me, missed it. I gotta get my feelers out there more, would've loved to have seen Billy! Sounds like it was worth it and a good show.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Boogie View Post
Not too far from me, missed it. I gotta get my feelers out there more, would've loved to have seen Billy! Sounds like it was worth it and a good show.
Yeah, how about it huh? I was lucky that I caught it. I'm telling you J-Boogie, twice, in as many months, two of TAMA's biggest names have been in the local area, and NOT one word or mention from them on their official webpage or social networking sites. Though there were but a couple empty seats in the house, perhaps a mention or two from the brand could've perhaps filled those vacant spots for sure.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Thats excellent you caught them Percussionplayer, keep us posted when you find these gems, Ill do the same. Funny, the best performance Ive seen live I caught on a whim, playing at a local college near me. Was absolutely amazing and I almost missed it. It was Dafnis Prieto at Goucher College!! I love that man, he's wonderful. Would love to see him again. Im in Baltimore, MD.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 AM

I became aware of BC from his work with horn band Dreams 1970.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=se6IGAwq8YI
Old 04-11-2018, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

I first heard of Billy through Mahavishnu Orchestra, then picked up Dreams album and loved it. Very underrated music.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:30 PM
Gold Member

U know, Ive heard of them but dont think Ive ever listened to Dreams, I must fix this. Thanks guys!

The earliest BC Ive heard I believe is the Jack Johnson Miles stuff. BC playing grooves, not exploding and rolling everywhere.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:59 PM

He plays on the Horace Silver "Serenade To A Soul Sister" album, I believe one of his first major recordings. Pretty straight ahead for what he became known for but still good stuff.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:55 PM

I don't know for exactly how long now, but I can't seem to get the infectious groove of the song "Mirage" out of my head. It is so bad that, my wife was commenting that I keep repeating aloud over-and-over the same few bars from the opening of the song, and tapping it on whatever available surface suitable that I find myself around. No matter what I listen too, I just can't shake this track -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLrhZUjWjpc
Old 04-19-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.Awesome View Post
He plays on the Horace Silver "Serenade To A Soul Sister" album, I believe one of his first major recordings. Pretty straight ahead for what he became known for but still good stuff.
I've always loved Billy's drumming on the Stanley Turrentine/Milt Jackson album Cherry, especially the track Sister Sanctified, with its drum break that was an early hip-hop sample.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Ooh yeah, greasey!!!!