DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 04-06-2018, 04:26 AM
newoldie's Avatar
newoldie newoldie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 652
Default Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

I didn't realize he played a 12 x 22 bass drum until I saw this 1969 Jimi Hendrix Concert. You can clearly see the drum set up.

Apparently, this Ludwig drum set is also up for sale, it has the specs stated as well:
http://donnbennett.com/drums/mitch-m...-set-29995-00/

Concert:
https://youtu.be/17mh2oI21V4

Was this size BD the exception to the norm in the late 60's-70's rock era?
Or were there other prominent rock group drummers also using this size, perhaps even a 12 x 20 (like my Sonor Player kit bass drum)?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2018, 07:35 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 29
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

The bass drums in that video look to be 26” or possibly 24”

Look like 26”to me though
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2018, 02:42 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,598
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldie View Post
I didn't realize he played a 12 x 22 bass drum until I saw this 1969 Jimi Hendrix Concert. You can clearly see the drum set up.

Apparently, this Ludwig drum set is also up for sale, it has the specs stated as well:
http://donnbennett.com/drums/mitch-m...-set-29995-00/

Concert:
https://youtu.be/17mh2oI21V4

Was this size BD the exception to the norm in the late 60's-70's rock era?
Or were there other prominent rock group drummers also using this size, perhaps even a 12 x 20 (like my Sonor Player kit bass drum)?
Ginger Baker used 20x12 and 22x12 in the 60s. I have a sneaky suspicion that the DW bass drums are the same specs.
__________________
I aint farting on no snare drum
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:12 PM
J-Boogie J-Boogie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 928
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

Interesting size, looks like 12" x 26" to my eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:13 PM
MasterBlaster
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Man, 12" sure does seem narrow!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM
newoldie's Avatar
newoldie newoldie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 652
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Man, 12" sure does seem narrow!!!
Yes, must have been a special order or an unusual one to get that depth.

But you can hear it punching through the volumes.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2018, 06:23 PM
J-Boogie J-Boogie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 928
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

Very narrow, Id prefer another 2" in depth my damn self.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2018, 11:39 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 5,974
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
The bass drums in that video look to be 26” or possibly 24”

Look like 26”to me though
Yep ....to my eyes, when you compare its height to the 16x16 or 18x16 floor toms sitting next to it in this and other vids of the 1969 shows, its a 24.
There are also double spurs on it (see the Woodstock 1969 show) , hard to imagine with a 12 x 22.
__________________
Louis
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-07-2018, 12:27 AM
WhoIsTony?'s Avatar
WhoIsTony? WhoIsTony? is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: the city that never sleeps
Posts: 29
Default Re: Mitch Mitchell's Bass Drum Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Yep ....to my eyes, when you compare its height to the 16x16 or 18x16 floor toms sitting next to it in this and other vids of the 1969 shows, its a 24.
There are also double spurs on it (see the Woodstock 1969 show) , hard to imagine with a 12 x 22.
these look like 26 to me

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com