Tipping teachers?

No. Well not in the UK anyway but I can't imagine the practice in the US would be different.

No, that would be weird. A bottle of wine or dinner gift certificate around the holidays is nice. My wife teaches violin, and never gets tips, but at Xmas time I'd say half of them give her some doo-dad of some sort. I had a drum teacher who used to offer me a glass of wine occasionally, so I bought him a nice bottle.

around the Holidays and at the end of the school year I get things like Sam Ash gift cards.....dunkin donuts or starbucks gift cards.....some times a card and some cash.....

with 50 students it can add up to a nice chunk....

its nice to be appreciated

I love my job

Some students tip me on a regular basis (some weekly). The tips could range from $2-20. I tell them that it is not necessary, but they insist.

As with the other posts, it is common to get gift certificates at Christmas. I also give gifts to the students. Usually coffee mugs with my business name, phone and website printed on them. I will fill them with hot chocolate packages for the kids and coffee for the adults. I give my accountant the amount that I spend on gifts for students.

Jeff

In the UK it's pretty much a no no

It's to the discression of the student, I've had an extra few pounds from students that were really happy with the lesson, a few bottles of wine here and there for helping with setting up students kits and sometimes a tip if they found out it's my birthday or christmas.

Generally a no

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to be 'that guy' that didn't tip while everybody else was. I'm really liking the lessons, so I'll probably go the gifts at holiday route.

Thanks again,
Mark

i'd go with the no .. you are already paying them ..but around a holiday or something its cool..

unless you want to ..

Back