Getting auditions?

Ethan01

Just curious, where do you guys get most of your auditions for good bands/gigs? Is it through networking, socializing at shows, online, or somewhere else?

Find where bands post listing looking for musicians.

Craiglist is the easiest one, but can also be the most frustrating because anyone can post there, serious or not.

Pre-internet, it was all about local music magazines.

There is a site called Musician Contact Service. You have to pay to join, but because it is a pay site, ads tend to be much more serious than what's on Craigslist.

Of course, nothing beats world of mouth.

Open mics if you have some near you that do the kind of music you like. I met everyone I know at open mics. You play, people see you, you get asked to do stuff.

I've never played in a band or had an audition, but I could guess that considering millions of other guys in the world want to be professional drummers that make enough money to sustain a living, you really have to be good and stand out, both.

Networking is everything. Go out and find the best bands in your area and give them your card should they ever need a fill-in. Also, try to sit in as much as possible with groups that are open to having sit-ins. Don't be that guy that begs and says he is a drummer and wants to show off to the girlies. Make sure you nail the gigs you get and don't give yourself a bad rep.

Every audition I've gotten has been through craigslist. I don't really talk to others at music shops or shows, so this is the only way I really meet other musicians. Or I meet them through friends.

Back