Looking for help identifying old drum teacher

DaleClark

Back in Dayton Ohio, around 1984 or 85, I started a few sessions with a teacher at a music store. The teacher was in Dayton for a short stint (1 tear I believe) because his wife was consulting a local company.

The drummer was from L.A. and his claim to fame on the materials was he drummed for the Carpenters when ever Chubby O'Brien could not make the tour or show date. I believe the teacher played with the Carpenters numerous times and had images with him on stage with them from multiple shows.

I remember the teacher telling me he played many sessions in L.A. with much being TV soundtrack work and commercial jingles, etc. I'm sure he was not an "A-lister" but he sounded like he made a full time living with drums.

I got a call from the music store letting me know he had to move back to L.A. on a moments notice thus lessons ended with him. This was close to 35 years ago.

For the life of me, I cannot remember his name. I looked all thru Google, Carpenters info, etc...nothing.

Just wondering if any L.A. music scene veterans may know who he was. I can't even remember his first name. I know that is terrible.

If the music store is still in business, maybe someone working there from the mid 80s or an owner / ex owner might recall the name.
Other than that, I don't know who that could be.

Perhaps Karen’s best displays, however, were during the Carpenters’ live show. In a YouTube video titled “The Karen Carpenter Drum Workshop,” she and touring drummer Cubby O’Brien deliver a percussion extravaganza to Gershwin’s “Strike Up the Band.”

Not to hijack but I had recently been thinking about this same topic. My teacher was in a local, popular band and I was his first student. 1982.

Took lessons for about 2 years, then quit and ultimately moved away. I'd love to remember his name and see if he's still alive. How cool would it be hear from his first student and find out after 36 years, he's still playing and doing pretty well with it?

I hope you can track him down. There's got to be a record of him due to the professional associations.

Back