Acoustic Drums VS Electronic Drum Kits

What I've noticed about the DTX532 is that the hat needs to be unconditionally and deliberately open 'before' the strike. You can't cheat it like you can a real high-hat. I've gotten used to it over the past week, and it may have even made my acoustic playing a bit cleaner.

Someone pointed out that my exercise-bike analogy was a bit over the top. After spending some time with the kit I agree with them. It's more like the difference between ice-skates and roller blades.

For the OP.

You have a lot of choices. If you get overwhelmed with information, there's nothing wrong with simply ordering a Roland student kit and getting started. The to pieces of advice I can give for any eKit are:

1: Save the packaging materials in case you need warranty service or wish to resell.
2: Buy extra velcro cable ties.
3: Get a comfortable throne.

4: Buy a decent pedal because you will keep it for any next kits

4: Buy a decent pedal because you will keep it for any next kits

You say that, but the cheap Yamaha pedal that came with my DTX has become my go to pedal. My Iron Cobra is now just a backup. I did swap the belt for a chain on the Yamaha but apart from that its the same, and feels great. Also, not having the fixed steel baseplate of the Tama, It naturaly lines up with any bass drum I am using, regardless of the angle the drum is set at.

You say that, but the cheap Yamaha pedal that came with my DTX has become my go to pedal. My Iron Cobra is now just a backup. I did swap the belt for a chain on the Yamaha but apart from that its the same, and feels great. Also, not having the fixed steel baseplate of the Tama, It naturaly lines up with any bass drum I am using, regardless of the angle the drum is set at.

Since my DTX532 didn't ship with a BD pedal, I picked a Yamaha 7210 to go along with it. It's very comfortable is of acceptable quality. I can see why people tend to stick with them.

The main motivations for buying the Yamaha pedal was that I was already $200 over budget and couldn't justify a 2nd DW5000. I figured I'd get something cheap that matched the kit so it looked clean.

What I've noticed about the DTX532 is that the hat needs to be unconditionally and deliberately open 'before' the strike. You can't cheat it like you can a real high-hat. I've gotten used to it over the past week, and it may have even made my acoustic playing a bit cleaner.

Someone pointed out that my exercise-bike analogy was a bit over the top. After spending some time with the kit I agree with them. It's more like the difference between ice-skates and roller blades.

For the OP.

You have a lot of choices. If you get overwhelmed with information, there's nothing wrong with simply ordering a Roland student kit and getting started. The to pieces of advice I can give for any eKit are:

1: Save the packaging materials in case you need warranty service or wish to resell.
2: Buy extra velcro cable ties.
3: Get a comfortable throne.

Thanks for all the input... i am actually confused with what to buy and how to decided ...did check out the link...that kit is good too..i m thinking of buying a used one so waiting on some good kit with good price...lets hope for the best:)

Thanks for the reply..actually i agree to what u say when i played E drums whenever i visited the drum shops, i thought they were easier to play and being a learner i might not learn infact i thought whatever bit i have learn i would ruin that too and may not be able to play properly and i might find difficult playing an acoustic kit infact i do feel different now since 4 years i haven't played on acoustic but only on E kits as much as i have played and when i play acoustic i found it little different so now when i plan to get one kit i am in big dilemma that what i should be doing.Right now its either i get an E kit or nt get anything at all cause A kits are not an option at all.Again i also cant afford to get a veryexpensive kit .I will surely checkout Yamaha DTX750 .. At what price should i be expecting the used one?

Thanks

The DTX 750 I got off eBay for around £800 (about $1180), they retail nearer £2200 here ($3000 ish) but probably cheaper in the states. I'd definitely go 2nd hand though, and make sure you give it a good test first whatever you end up buying. There's plenty of good cheaper kits in the range too. The DTX 700 has one less cymbal, then there's the DTX 500 range which I think is just a less capable brain, but check the limitations first...

Personally if it was an E-Kit or nothing, I wouldn't hesitate. My drum lessons are every 2 weeks and I travel over 100 miles to get there.. My teacher would hit the roof if I wasn't improving..

Also I notice the improvements at band rehearsals from lots of shedding on the E-Kit. Even my band mates notice. Well.. one of them does.. :)

Its probably only worth investing that much if you are committed to it, though having said that if its second hand, you can always resell it for not much loss.

I've posted this before, but only because of my enthusiasm for what a great practice kit it is. My wife and baby daughter can be asleep in the next room and I can practice as late as I can stay awake.

In any case, mesh pads and rubber tom and snare pads are the only viable option for super-quiet practice. Especially when it comes to the bass drum. You can tension them and that even affects the triggering speed.
This is a set-up of Used Yamaha DTX e-drums with my old Tama Swingstars with Pearl mesh heads and Ddrum triggers from Guitar Center. This also records nicely into Sony Acid studio via USB.
Finally, I just swap out my regular acoustic kit for the red Tamas which keeps this my "fixed" layout. (Obviously I don't use the cymbals for quiet practice)

1475958_10152564238992828_7712378323434738474_n.jpg

10382981_10152564238132828_5621369740989792949_n.jpg

Hello all,
I had enquired for used electronic kits in guitar center sometime back.I got a call today that they have Simmons SD 1000 used kit for sale right now for $399.So how do you guys find this kit?Is it worth buying and what do you feel about the price if everything else is good.I am yet to play it and check it out .

Drummer Girl

Hello all,
I had enquired for used electronic kits in guitar center sometime back.I got a call today that they have Simmons SD 1000 used kit for sale right now for $399.So how do you guys find this kit?Is it worth buying and what do you feel about the price if everything else is good.I am yet to play it and check it out .

Drummer Girl

Never used one personally but a quick google search provided mixed reviews:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/simmons-sd1000-5-piece-electronic-drum-set

Hello all,

Drummer Girl

That Simmons kit (and all Simmons kits that I tried) were quite literally trash.

Read the customer reviews.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons...sfullsite=1&source=4WWRWXGP#/customer-reviews

Last edited:
What is your opinion about used Alesis DM8 for under 500$?

When I payed the Alesis kits, I was impressed by what they deliver for the money. I was disappointed with all of their models under the DM8, and felt that the DM8 and DM10 were strong offerings for the price.

The big choice you need to make is whether you really want to invest in a budget oriented intermediate kit, or a high quality student kit like the Roland TD1-KV.

whichever will allow you to practice more

I find the transition easy. Generally, you just have to ease up a bit.

Maybe it's because I have a very mechanical nature but, it is SO simple. Take off the head, install the hardware, put on a mesh head and plug it in. It might take a couple/few hours to do all the drums.

If I would have understood this a few years ago, there is no way I would have wasted any time or money on tiny E drum pads.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a8/JohnC1952/20140429_153541_zpsd6996cc6.jpg

My sentiments exaclty. I wasted so much money on e-pads. I finally bought a Yamaha Gigmaker 5-pc shell pack which cost less than a single Roland V-drum 12" kick pad!!

Bought mesh heads and ready-made conversion kits from Pintech and Quartz and was playing my new kit through a Roland TD-30 in a few hours. Each drum takes about 15 minutes to complete.

Back