Musician vs Artist

I don't like the term artist. Anymore, people who do anything creative, or niche for that matter consider themselves artists. Hell, the people at Subway are sandwich artists. Really?

I believe that artist should be left for people who create art. Sculpters, painters, sketch artists, basically physical art you can look at and touch. Not musicians.

Yes, music is art. But doesn't musician cover what we do well enough? Isn't the art a given? Must we clarify by calling ourselves artists?

People who are not artists in my opinion are actors. They get paid to pretend what someone else created. The someone else might be an artist, yet they are probably a writer.

So where do we draw the line? I would never call a golfer an athlete, isn't it sort of the same thing?

so you are changing the definition of the word now ?

must be a slow day in old Arkansas

artist
a obsolete : one skilled or versed in learned arts
b archaic : physician
c archaic : artisan 1
a : one who professes and practices an imaginative art
b : a person skilled in one of the fine arts
3 : a skilled performer; especially : artiste
4 : one who is adept at something con artist strikeout artist

... and just for good measure

fine art

ˌfīn ˈärt

noun

creative art, especially visual art, whose products are to be appreciated primarily or solely for their imaginative, aesthetic, or intellectual content.

an activity requiring great skill or accomplishment.

I don't mind the term, although to me, in a musical context, it suggests one who actually creates the art. It's also a handy term for a solo headlining performer, such as Ed Sheeran or Joe Bona... (the guy on PBS all the time.) If the person is a singer, and doesn't play instrument or (somehow) write their own songs, I'd rather they be called an artist than a musician. Or just call them a singer. For example, calling Ariana Grande a musician just sounds wrong.

I consider myself 1) a musician, who 2) plays drums. I only get called an artist by some of the companies I endorse, and since they like to use the word, I don't argue. :)

Bermuda

Not trying to change the definition, just think maybe it is over used. I agree we create art, a form of entertainment. But do we have to be referred to as an artist? I would never say I'm an artist, rather I'm a musician. That's what I'm getting at. Is the artist moniker necessary?

And yes it's slow here today. My wife and I just spent like 20 minutes watching a praying mantis and orb weaver spider fight.

Baseball is not a sport, it's a game. The players are not athletes, they chew tobacco and stand in a field.

But when someone is really so good at what they do, they give the impression of being at an original "apex of preeminence" (to quote Buddy Rich), then that person embodies artistic stature.
I would call that person an artist, even if they're not pushing an intellectual agenda.

A professional and an expert are also interchangeable in their respect towards presentation.
An expert is a de facto professional by means of their talent from perseverance in their training.

Yes musicians, singers, dancers, writers, etc all "artist". Now multimedia visual media are so powerful where it gets all your senses. Interesting too "Arts and Sciences" are together. Makes perfect sense to me.
Whenever I get take out and they ask for a name I say "Art like you hang on the wall"-just thought I'd add that useless fact. There is a lot of art in the sciences really-from the beautiful structure and function of nature to how scientist address interesting questions or problems. Before we had all the fancy programs to illustrate I would draw diagrams by hand for publications. Did olfactory pathways in lobster brain and illustrated expression of various vascular proteins in embryos. Took me forever-now minutes. It's crazy how progress has changes things so fast. I bet I spent a good ten years in a dark room-lot of art in photography back then-but there is now too. Now it's a useless "Art".

Last edited:
Baseball is not a sport, it's a game. The players are not athletes, they chew tobacco and stand in a field.

Haha, Hopefully you're joking. Try hurling a ball at 95 mph for 50 pitches or more, or hitting said ball with a 4 inch wide wood stick for over 400 feet.
Perhaps you mean billiards are a game.

It is indeed slow on the boards today.

I'm old fashioned. I prefer 'craftsman' to 'artist'.

IMO artistry without craftsmanship is pretentious.

Do a search for 'pretentious art' and judge for yourself.

Not trying to change the definition, just think maybe it is over used. I agree we create art, a form of entertainment. But do we have to be referred to as an artist? I would never say I'm an artist, rather I'm a musician. That's what I'm getting at. Is the artist moniker necessary?

And yes it's slow here today. My wife and I just spent like 20 minutes watching a praying mantis and orb weaver spider fight.

Maybe you’re not an artist

I know very few ... but I know hundreds of guys like myself who accompany them

I would've liked to have seen that. Who won?

P.S.: Musicians are artists, and pro golfers (and pro baseball players) are definitely athletes.

I would've liked to have seen that. Who won?

P.S.: Musicians are artists, and pro golfers (and pro baseball players) are definitely athletes.

The mantis got stuck in the web. The spider kept trying to move in from different angles but the mantis kept striking at the spider. Eventually the spider backed off and the mantis was able to free itself from the web, so I suppose the mantis won.

The web was big and intricate before the mantis tore some of it up freeing itself. Is the spider an artist?

Maybe you’re not an artist

I know very few ... but I know hundreds of guys like myself who accompany them

I can accept that.

I see the term artist today as engineer was like 15 years ago. Garbage man = sanitation engineer. IT guy = internet engineer. So on and so forth.

I am a little ambivalent with this..

Like, when John Riley gives his book the title 'The Art of Bop Drumming', then i have no problem at all with that and 'Art' in this case gives 'Bop Drumming' an extra value..

But, everytime when i see a member here write about 'our art', then i think to myself 'lets act normal a little'..

John Riley speaking about 'The Art of Bop Drumming', to me just feels very different compared to a member here speaking about 'our art' when referring to a drumcover-video or a wedding band gig or whatever..

Maybe makes sense, maybe not..

But, every time when i see a member here write about 'our art', then i think to myself 'lets act normal a little'..

A member here speaking about 'our art' when referring to a drum cover-video or a wedding band gig or whatever..

Maybe makes sense, maybe not..

LOL yeah, I think of artists as a singer songwriters. Being a drummer is being a musician for sure but thinking of your self as an artist might be a stretch.

Maybe so at the first tier level.

I think the term artist...that's for others to say, or not. I don't refer to myself as an artist, it just sounds pretentious to me. But hey if someone wants to call me an artist, OK I'll take it. Why not? Maybe we earned it.

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

Back