Kit Too Big or Too Small

In the "Going Minimalist" thread, Dre25 stated that "I really like not being closed in by a kit. It's like riding a motor bike vs being in a car :)"

I really like the car analogy. I don't like riding motorcycles because I don't feel secure. I want doors, seatbelts, airbags, a roof, the whole nine yards. But yet, some folks feel too confined in a car and would rather be on a bike.

This got me thinking, do some of us build our kit small because we don't like feeling confined behind a large kit? And conversely, do some of us build our kits large to "hide" behind because a small kit leaves us feeling exposed?

This is kind of a silly thought really, and I expect most of us build our kit around our needs, but people are silly too and do some weird things for some strange reasons sometimes.

Yes, you humans are silly. What a great way to sneak in the back door of the big kit vs small kit brouhaha!

By definition, TOO big or TOO small implies not the right fit. I like the 3 little bears approach.

Or was that the 3 little pigs?

I like more simplistic kits purely because I broke my back and blew out a few discs. I don't twist as well as I used to. Keeping everything under 180 degrees is just more comfortable. A 4 piece with the ride over the kick just makes more sense to me.

I don't change the size of my kit based on that sort of process, but I do prefer to have the Orbin setup so I can actually appear as a person to the audience. I think my other preferences on amount of stuff are simply a matter of how those pieces converse with me and such.

Yeah, I definitely compensate ;). And sometimes not.

I agree that humans are silly. All the time.

That isn't your fault, I don't think it will be held against you!

Speaking of silly, how is the death metal quest going?

Yes, you humans are silly. What a great way to sneak in the back door of the big kit vs small kit brouhaha!

This was not my intention, but I guess I did at least ring the bell.

I like more simplistic kits purely because I broke my back and blew out a few discs. I don't twist as well as I used to. Keeping everything under 180 degrees is just more comfortable. A 4 piece with the ride over the kick just makes more sense to me.

Wow, that sucks about your back. As I get older, my twisting has gone down somewhat. My second floor tom is getting more difficult to reach and tends to get neglected somewhat. I agree about the ride, moved mine over the kick about 6 months ago and just love it.

I don't change the size of my kit based on that sort of process, but I do prefer to have the Orbin setup so I can actually appear as a person to the audience. I think my other preferences on amount of stuff are simply a matter of how those pieces converse with me and such.

I had to look up the Orbin setup. I kinda dig it, but don't think it would work for me. Do you not like having gear directly in front of you?

since the kit I bought on Craigslist came with three up and one down, I normally play it that way on a rack. I have gone the four piece route, but I feel bad having other drums sitting on a shelf. I know the minute I sell them I will have sellers remorse. so i go back and forth. I like the look of the four piece and the sensible ride positioning but just have to set the whole thing up

Large kits contain smaller kits within. You can always make a larger kit smaller, but not the reverse. Plus, it depends on what you consider a large kit. I keep my kits set up as 6 or 7 piece kits. Within those kits exist a 4,5 or 6 piece kit to handle whatever presents itself.

I have a big kit because of two main reasons.

This is my first pro level kit, which has been my dream kit since I learned to play drums in the mid 90's. Yamaha Recording Custom.

And I'm the type of personality that frets that "I might need that" so I tend to collect. Whether I have an immediate use for an 18" floor tom, doesn't matter, someday I might. When Yamaha decided to discontinue the Recording Custom last year, it just made it all the easier to order all the pieces.

Now, when it comes to setting it up, I could set up a 4 piece with minimal stands and stuff the rest in a closet somewhere. But, I like the rack, and if I paid all this money for some real nice stuff, I'd rather it be out and available than stuffed in a closet.

I like gigging with a small kit. 1 snare, 1 bass, 3 toms, 2 cymbals and a hi hat.
Easy to haul around and set up. And the audience can see me.

But as soon as I land that national tour with a famous rock band; and that DW endorsement,
I’ll have roadies and I’m going to get the biggest drum set I can find…………

I'm kind of clastrophobic with kits. I need openings and space, and to be able to see.
The kit at our bands practice space (another drummer's kit, not mine) has no less than 8 cymbals, 4 toms, double pedals and 2 snares, and even wind chimes. Totally crowds me. I feel so un-free.

At home I play only 4 piece, hats and 2 cymbals.

it is not the size of the kit. It is how you use it.

I had to look up the Orbin setup. I kinda dig it, but don't think it would work for me. Do you not like having gear directly in front of you?

I like it a lot! I think that it helps me connect with the audience more (as I mentioned), and the holistic combination of the setup, ambidextrous considerations, and the focus on actual partwriting that Travis does is really appealing to me. I don't mind having a rack tom or stuff in front of me but it's a minimalist thing- I do enjoy putting my 10" rack tom there occasionally, as it makes my kit contain both a right- and left-handed traditional 4-piece.

Speaking of silly, how is the death metal quest going?

Well, not to derail your thread, mentally it's going OK. I'm awaiting my Pearl Demonator double pedal set-up to arrive next week, then I will begin in earnest. I've been taking some beginner's notes from the Kollias DVD set and will begin slowly.

Oddly enough, I'm hearing some double bass stuff in a couple of those show choir shows I play for. I might be the first show choir drummer ever to musically utilize double bass for the genre. This could create quite a stir amongst the other drummers I see and all hell could break loose ;)

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I do enjoy putting my 10" rack tom there occasionally, as it makes my kit contain both a right- and left-handed traditional 4-piece.

I never really thought about it that way. Sounds interesting, I think I'm gonna try it.

Oddly enough, I'm hearing some double bass stuff in a couple of those show choir shows I play for. I might be the first show choir drummer ever to musically utilize double bass for the genre. This could create quite a stir amongst the other drummers I see and all hell could break loose ;)

Would hell breaking loose at a choir show be a bad thing? Haha , do it!

Would hell breaking loose at a choir show be a bad thing? Haha , do it!

You're right - it wouldn't be a bad thing. But like anything, there's a certain amount of conservatism that goes along with any genre, I suppose. Think of this like a very small microcosm of Broadway-meets-marching-band-field-show, and there are things that just have never been done musically yet. Since we're more rock 'n' roll band rather than pit orchestra, our approach is already different from other schools. Hearing the rumbling dubba-dubba of double bass drums could be taken as a complete disregard of the sanctity and safety of the activity ;)

No one will be safe after that.

Large kits contain smaller kits within. You can always make a larger kit smaller, but not the reverse. Plus, it depends on what you consider a large kit. I keep my kits set up as 6 or 7 piece kits. Within those kits exist a 4,5 or 6 piece kit to handle whatever presents itself.

Same here.

If you can swing the cash up front you don't have to worry about adding on later. It just makes sense.

Back