SLAM th' BAM!

The only real advantage that traditional grip has over matched grip is that with traditional grip you get a steeper stick angle on the drum, which allows for quieter and more controlled playing. There is no difference in rudimental playing capabilities between matched and traditional.

In fact, there is almost no difference in how your hand/arm/wrist moves for either type, one just has the stick the other direction.

Just sayin....

I learned how to play in a drum corps with trad grip.
I play both matched and trad. I play both open and crossed.
I always fall back on crossed with trad grip when push comes to shove.
I am most comfortable playing trad in the crossed style.
I am a lefty that plays a right handed kit.
I am not the norm when it comes to drumming vs dominate hand usage.

Timely one.

I've played matched grip for 25 odd years.....I hurt my wrist a week ago (just a minor strain), but nonetheless there was a little bit of pain when I played on the pad and it promoted jerky left hand movements that weren't fluent at all.

I flipped the stick and for the last week now have been working extensively on getting my left hand feeling comfortable and "at home" in the trad. grip position. Despite the obligatory "wearing in" period, I reckon it's coming along nicely.....so much so that each night when I sit down, I find that I'm picking the stick up and holding traditionally, without even thinking about it. So far, I'm loving it.........the biggest upside for me is not worrying if my left and right hand are mimicing one another. I'm really digging that aspect. I honestly think that my left hand feels more fluent now and for that reason alone, I'm gonna continue working on it.

All in all, I'm glad I've decided to add a new element to my playing.....can't wait til I'm at the point where it feels completely natural. Just wish I had have listened to the old man when he tried to get me to work on it as a youngster.

I think trad grip looks great when other drummers use it, and most definetly in drum corps, but for me it's matched. I've played/learned both and have good control and speed with either, but I've just found it awkward for me when playing a drum kit. It's difficult for me to reach all my cymbals and drums with one wrist half cocked and still get a good solid hit/sound. I do, however, drift towards trad grip when playing just snare drum. Do you think that the prefrence changes from style to style? Or could it be size of kit? Maybe it's both?

I'm a traditional grip n00b. I try to use traditional grip when I want to bring a bit more swing into my playing. For some reason I naturally play Jazzier with Trad. It's a psychological thing I guess.

The only real advantage that traditional grip has over matched grip is that with traditional grip you get a steeper stick angle on the drum, which allows for quieter and more controlled playing. There is no difference in rudimental playing capabilities between matched and traditional.

In fact, there is almost no difference in how your hand/arm/wrist moves for either type, one just has the stick the other direction.

Just sayin....

OK first off, I'm a matched grip player. My teacher was a pro drummer who was predominantly a trad grip player, but he advocated matched grip for most modern music and certainly for kit playing. In fact I remember his words well, he said he would never teach anybody trad grip.

While I agree there is probably little difference between the two grips as regards rudimental ability, I think matched is way ahead in terms of modern kit playing.

For some reason, i can't get the traditional grip down with my left hand. My wrist just won't turn over. I can do it fine with my right hand and play just has naturally as with a matched grip, but i can't get it with the left. I guess I'll keep trying!

Back