Amazing - 11 yr.old Drummer Girl - Kanade Sato

Blimey! She has some talent eh?

Oh yeah? (snivel)

Can she do THIS?

(storms across room and lifts bass drum over his head.)

I always have mixed feelings about child exhibitionists. While I applaud them for their accomplishment, I am wary of the cost. Was anyone else in this forum raised in such a way?

I always have mixed feelings about child exhibitionists. While I applaud them for their accomplishment, I am wary of the cost. Was anyone else in this forum raised in such a way?

I wonder too. Does she love playing, or did her parents decide she should practice 3 hours a day from the age of 4?
I hope she plays because she loves it.

They live in a very different culture then we do here in America at least. My son goes to school with many students from Asian countries. They are different. His girlfriend had a room mate from China her freshman year. They didn't get along and his girlfriend is one of those super friendly million friends type. That little girl may not play because she wants to but rather because that is where her aptitude lies.

Kanade is now 17, and as you would expect, her drumming skills have gotten a lot better. Here she is doing a killer cover of Dave Weckl's Festival de Ritmo

And here are some selections from a recent performance (it also includes some drumming by her father, Masanori)

Kanade plays a broad range of styles, including fusion, jpop. latin, and swing, among others. I think this video from a couple of years ago gives you something of an idea

Weckl covers are great, I’d like to see some subtle, quiet jazz with some brush work and buzz rolls, too, though.

Here's something kind of like that.

Also some of her work with Ear Candy Jazz Factory, and on Musica Piccolina or the Obaida Folk Village TV shows. But on the whole she is more of a high-energy type drummer.

For three years now Kanade has been playing in the soft jazz group Ear Candy Jazz Factory along with Rei Narita and Naoko Sakurai.

They have released two cd's, Tangerine Peel Jam and Tangerine Peel Jam Complete. Starting just before the one minute mark you can see her doing some recording work with them

For the last two years she has also been performing with rock, melodic metal guitarist Rie A.K.A Suzaku. They have one cd out, Top Runner. Listen to the groove she gets going on this Jeff Beck cover

Last edited:
Kanade also has a TV career. Last year she played three times as a member of the house band for the Fujitv show Shio Koji Tamai x Konosuke Sakazaki's Odaiba Folk Village NEXT. This is a monthly show that runs for two hours.

Also for the last three years Kanade has appeared as Lunetta in the NHK edutainment show Musica Piccolino. Renetta plays the drums and is an assistant engineer on a ship that flys in the sky in the mythical kingdom of Musica Mundo, and rescues music in flying machines called monstros.

Last edited:
looks like a younger version of Senri Kawaguchi

Back