I know no religious discussion, but any other church drummers in here?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I know about the rules of no religious discussion, but I'm curious to see if there are any other church drummers in here.

Thanks!

Ive been playing at my church for 15 years. I went years playing there 3 days a week. I still play all but one Sunday a month. We got a new pastor a couple of years ago and I don't really like him as a person. He's kinda rude and overly demanding of the all volunteer staff. I've been thinking about moving to a different church, but Ive been playing there for so long with mostly the same people that part of the sound there is my sound. I would hate to give that up.

Been playing church gigs ever since I picked up sticks. I don't play so much at my home church however. Being Mennonite and all we only pull out a band for special occasions. I do get called a lot to fill in at other area churches though, and when I'm on campus at school I play in about 6 different area churches depending on who needs me what week.

Been playing steady church gigs since 2007 when I picked up the sticks again. Some worship leaders I thoroughly enjoyed working with and were into collaboration, teamwork and improvisation and made things fun and interesting. Others not so much because I've found most of the young ones egotistical, arrogant, and inexperienced and a "my way or the highway" attitude.

Church is a place for worship; worshiping God and connecting to the spiritual side of ourselves. At church we share spiritual experiences with other people.
Music is a very powerful form of spiritual communication. That is why it is used in some form or another in most, if not all, church services.

My drum playing is a God given ability and not just something that I created on my own. When I play the drums I’m having a spiritual experience. When I play in a band, any band, I am worshipping along with other musicians. It does not matter where we are playing.

The stage is a place to thank God for my musical abilities and to share my feelings and emotions with other musicians. I connect with other musician when I play. And it is a spiritual connection.

Therefore every time I play, I am in church.

Church is a place for worship; worshiping God and connecting to the spiritual side of ourselves. At church we share spiritual experiences with other people.
Music is a very powerful form of spiritual communication. That is why it is used in some form or another in most, if not all, church services.

My drum playing is a God given ability and not just something that I created on my own. When I play the drums I’m having a spiritual experience. When I play in a band, any band, I am worshipping along with other musicians. It does not matter where we are playing.

The stage is a place to thank God for my musical abilities and to share my feelings and emotions with other musicians. I connect with other musician when I play. And it is a spiritual connection.

AMEN to that brother Hollywood......

I've played for about 10 years in three states (plus in the Middle East for a year) and four churches. It's given me some great opportunities to work on things as a player, and I also look at it as part of my tithe -- one-tenth of my talent paid back in service. I have had a great time doing some bits of teaching connected to music ministry, and met quite a few life friends. It's also at times been utterly bonkers, nerve-wracking, and utter work. But as the lady in "The Commitments" said: "If you wouldn't do it for Him, why would you do it?"

I've been playing at my church for roughly 10 years now. I love the fact that I've been given the liberty to play the songs the way I like to play them. Usually I simplify the drum parts, if we are playing the more contemporary "busy" songs. My normal tendency is to play at low to moderate volumes, which works out well since I have a hard time playing loud.

I have played praise and worship at two different churches over a span of about 23 years. We play on Wednesday nights and Sunday mornings. On Wednesday we usually have between 25 and 35 people in the congregation and on Sunday from 250 to 350. Peace and goodwill.

Couldn't agree more. I am a church musician as well as one that plays out in secular situations. The idea that one's talent is a gift from God to be used for His glory sustains me. That special level of communication that happens quite often on the bandstand, can be a very moving spiritual experience, regardless of the venue's location.

Been playing for my church for 13 years. Until recently I would play on average 45 weeks a year.

Back