Masters performance ideas

Jamie

Hi Everybody,

I hope you're all keeping well. In around 4 weeks time, I've got the first performance of my masters degree and I'm thinking of doing a Prog Rock/Alternative Rock theme and I'd really appreciate it if you'd spitball some ideas my way! We're supposed to be doing it on a genre that we've got a foundation understanding of but never really delved into before. One song I'm set on doing so far is Porcupine Tree - The Sound of Musak. As I say please feel free to throw a few ideas at me and help me along the way!

Thing is with prog, it can be anything so you are only limited by your imagination.

You chose a good starting point but do you mean recommend songs to play?

If so then i don't really know where to start. Say PT is a prog rock song, now try a prog metal song something like Tesseract - Dystopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4R28hk95uQ

Pretty straightforward drums on this one really

Thereafter, dare I say it, try some marillion

You chose a good starting point but do you mean recommend songs to play?

Yeah, songs to play for my upcoming technical assessment in December. Last year I did some CHON, Alter Bridge and Periphery if that gives you any idea as far as my drumming background goes! But as far as song arrangement goes it can't be anything way to extravagant as majority of my class chose not to do a masters thus limiting me band wise as my course don't allow you to recruit your own members from outside of the University.

I always really struggle when I'm put on the spot to pick songs that I really enjoy playing or would like to be assessed on and I don't really know what that says about me as a drummer, but it's a habit that I definitely need to get out of as soon as possible.

Back