Went and saw my uncle play today- Clip Included

Juniper

Gold Member
Went and saw my Uncles band play this afternoon down at the Jazz Cafe in Sandbanks, Bournemouth.

I've mentioned it briefly on here before but my uncle was a very promenade Jazz Drummer from the 1960's onwards and moved to London under his stage name Tony Mann in his late teens, playing with the who's who of English Jazz, some some stints playing abroad, winning some music polls for his drumming, even becoming the resident drummer at Ronnie Scott's for a while.

A partial discography I could find is below

http://www.discogs.com/artist/1380179-Tony-Mann

He was telling me a story today about one of his friends, Jimmy Cobb of all people which he only slipped in at the end, showing him a hi hat foot technique when they were on the same bill at a gig.

Jimmy's gig at the time? Miles Davis of all people.

Finally after all these years I managed to see him play with one of his bands and him at even with his 74th birthday approaching in the coming weeks it didn't disappoint, he was unreal throughout. Very, very musical playing with some very impressive chops when called for. Some impressive brush playing also.

Mrs Juniper managed to record the end of their last song, complete with some drum breaks. I was trying to take in as much as possible for forgot to film anything.

http://youtu.be/gqUXuc4pB34

Always one for tips he today told me to throw my Vic Firth (white handle) brushes in the bin as they are rubbish, haha! Need to invest in some Vater ones apparently.

Can't wait to see him play again now. If I have a drumming 'career' as filled as his I'll be a very happy man.

Still kicking' it. Very cool. Good for you to see your Uncle.

Great stuff. I still don't have to stop saying "I'm too old for this $^^& though.

What a fabulous evening you had, & such a personal connection too :) Did he take an interest in your progression (other than brush brand)?

He kinda knows what I am up to through my Dad, although we were mostly talking gear and the state of the music industry rather than anything else.

He's a proper Jazz head and has been in the 'business' a long time so the stuff I'm doing I think is slightly alien to him, to say the least. He's not impressed by one of my kits with a 24" bass drum, for example ; )

He does keep telling me to keep a job and do this only as a hobby as there's no money in it anymore.

Still kicking' it. Very cool. Good for you to see your Uncle.

Yeah it's been a while. Been many years.

Very nice. Always nice to see videos like this. Love your Uncles playing.

I couldnt keep up with his brush technique, years of experience right there.

Great stuff. I still don't have to stop saying "I'm too old for this $^^& though.

Me too, I've been known to think that on occassion at just 32 years when it's a long day. I'll have to remember yesterday for the next time, ha.

Back