Akira Jimbo

SGT_Drummer

I did a search for this guy and didn't see any posts about him so i figured i would start one. I had heard alot about him for years but never actually sat down and watched him until today. Simply wow. First off, i've never seen a music box so that amazed me off the bat. Then to watch him play his drums with such a full sound basically with one hand and his feet since the other hand is making the "music". The work he does on his high-foot is amazing and shows a great amount of foot discipline on his part. If you have never checked out Akira, I would highly encourage it. You won't regret it no matter what musical style you are privy too. Specifically his video from his first modern drummer convention back in the early 2000s (i want to say 2001, but am not sure), then the video that he plays both the james bond theme and the mission impossible theme. bother of them are on youtube and should pop up right when you search for his name. Enjoy!

A much different style, but "also" a Yamaha guy, you might be interested in Tony Verderosa.

back in the 80's I picked up a vinyl album by a Japanese band named Casiopea without knowing anything about them but the cover looked interesting and it was instrumental music. They became one of my favorite bands and that's when I first got hip to Akira Jimbo. He's quite the talent and I think he's tasty. His technique's not too shabby either. :)
Those that haven't checked him out should.He's got some stuff on youtube worth looking at.
I saw Tony Verderosa many years ago at a clinic and he was really good. A virtual one man band. Haven't really kept up with him but I was very impressed by what he did.

Yeah Akira is one of my favorite drummers.. I mean his independence, and the fact that he just makes actual songs while playing is amazing.. And yeah some might think he plays a bit too much, but i rather think thats the magic of his playing.. I guess hell never be that "pocket drummer" that chills in the back and makes the funky back beat, but thats why i love him =D

BTW here are some of my fav akira videos..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymc3Rpuv24M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3GaD7OAEmM&feature=related

Last edited:
Last December I was fortunate to attend a clinic by Akiro. Does that man ever enjoy playing the drums! He was amazing. A very genuine and down to earth person as well. At the Q & A portion, he was in no hurry to get away. Answered every question thoughtfully, thouroughly and patiently. He encouraged folks to speak up, not be shy.
Afterword he signed posters and posed for pictures with anyone who asked. It was a good evening.

that sounds wonderful Derek. I would love to see him when he next comes to the UK.

A great drummer with amazing chops, feel and precision. A consumate pro--and I would also say an ambassador to Japans modern drumming, as well as a role model to Asians and Asian Americans to get hip to our instrument!

He reminds me of a Steve Gadd on steroids, with those chops and feel, but more on the beat instead of that Gadd laid-back, drunken master style.

Btw, does he have wrist problems now? I saw a recent clip of him using some type of gloves now, or wrist support.

Karl

A great drummer with amazing chops, feel and precision. A consumate pro--and I would also say an ambassador to Japans modern drumming, as well as a role model to Asians and Asian Americans to get hip to our instrument!

He reminds me of a Steve Gadd on steroids, with those chops and feel, but more on the beat instead of that Gadd laid-back, drunken master style.

Btw, does he have wrist problems now? I saw a recent clip of him using some type of gloves now, or wrist support.

Karl

Yeah Akira is one of my drum heroes for sure! Yeah, I saw the wrist supporters he is wearing, I wonder if he got injured or why he is wearing those. Have you seen the clip on Youtube of him out in Thailand playing? It is freaking amazing I love his style.

Yeah Akira is one of my drum heroes for sure! Yeah, I saw the wrist supporters he is wearing, I wonder if he got injured or why he is wearing those. Have you seen the clip on Youtube of him out in Thailand playing? It is freaking amazing I love his style.

Nah I didn't you have a clip?

Karl

I love his playing and 4 way independance! I also heard him play a drum solo without all the triggers and it was insane. I love his feel! I love the stuff he does in the studio with just him on a non-trigger set playing along with the bass player! Insanely good!!!

Back