Issues with tuning - '00 Stage Custom

jlbanik

Hello,

First off, let me say I am new here and thank you for letting me join your wonderfull drummer comunity!

I have an older (2000) Yamaha Stage custom kit in a marina green I just picked up. I have Evans G2 coated heads with the original reso heads. I am having a heck of a time tuning my two toms (12 & 14). I use a combo of a drum dial to get me close, and ear to perfect the tone. I can not find the "sweet spot" on these drums to save my life! Does anyone out there with a similar set up happen to have their drum dial #'s for those two toms? This would at least provide me a decent starting point. This could also be due to the different type of wood these drums are made out of....I'm use to 100% maple and Birch shells, and these are a mix of falcata, birch, and mahogany.

I should also mention that I play alternative rock music, so I tend to lean on the side of low to mid tuning taste.

Thanks a ton for your input!

I think your first point of call should be changing the resonant heads. They've been on for thirteen years, they've had their day!

This is true....I actually plan on stopping tonight for new reso heads and plan on picking up some nylon washers for all the lugs. Heard a rumor these kits don't stay in tune that great, hope this helps!

Would still like to know if anyone out there has any drum dial #'s for a stage custom kit...if anything, just curious what tension these kits sound the best at.

I'll bet that your ears are still used to how that other kit sounded. I think you just need to get on and play them for a while to get the feel for what they should sound like.

Changing out the 13 year-old reso heads is probably a good idea, too.

Think of it like this:
Those old broken-in sneakers feel great - even with the hole in the side by the little toe. Then one day you go out and buy some new sneakers. Yeah, sure, they feel good but they're not like your old pair. A few weeks pass by and you put the old sneakers back on and then you realize, "Wow, these feel weird!"

Give yourself time to get used to your current set-up and play around with the tunings. When you get there, you'll know it.

No idea on the drumdial here I'm afraid. Such sorcery is not my style.

What are you picking up for resonant heads? I always go with single-ply, like Evans G1 or thinner. I don't have a STage Custom kit but I find that a relatively tight resonant head and relatively low tuning on the batter gets pleasing results.

I usually use the G1's on reso side and G2 coated on batter. I actually just picked up the drum dial about a month ago....it's actually a pretty cool tool! I like it simply to get the head tension the same all around the drum, and it serves that purpose well. I still need to do the "final tweak" after I set the tension, but once you get use to it, it seems to take a lot of guess work out of tuning!

This is true....I actually plan on stopping tonight for new reso heads and plan on picking up some nylon washers for all the lugs. Heard a rumor these kits don't stay in tune that great, hope this helps!

Would still like to know if anyone out there has any drum dial #'s for a stage custom kit...if anything, just curious what tension these kits sound the best at.

That rumor is just that -- a rumor. I own the 1st generation Stage Customs (1999 vintage) and they don't detune on me for weeks or months.

I don't drumdial at all. I tune by 1/2 turns of a drumkey. I tune the bottom head maybe one or 1 1/2 turns higher than the top head, and I tune that one maybe a full turn after the hoop starts picking up tension. I then finetune to taste. This gets me a nice, open, sustaining tone that I can then add a tiny scoche of gel to if I want to tame it down.

I use coated G2s over clear G1s, like you. Make sure any time you get a set of used drums that you go ahead and change out resos.

That rumor is just that -- a rumor. I own the 1st generation Stage Customs (1999 vintage) and they don't detune on me for weeks or months.

I don't drumdial at all. I tune by 1/2 turns of a drumkey. I tune the bottom head maybe one or 1 1/2 turns higher than the top head, and I tune that one maybe a full turn after the hoop starts picking up tension. I then finetune to taste. This gets me a nice, open, sustaining tone that I can then add a tiny scoche of gel to if I want to tame it down.

I use coated G2s over clear G1s, like you. Make sure any time you get a set of used drums that you go ahead and change out resos.

Thats great to hear! I was doing some research on this kit after I picked it up for a steal! I came across a forum where someone was complaining about their older SC kit staying in tune. I really didn't think too much of it since it was only one dudes opinion. Get this....I got this kit in mint condition, with gig bags, hardware, pedal, original Yamaha cymbals, EVERYTHIN, for $150! Some person listed it on Craigslist with a photo of what they "thought it looked like". The girl got these 5 years ago, attempted to learn for a while, got fed up, put them back in their cases, and there they sat! This couple ended up moving out of state and leving some things behind until the house house sold. Well....the house ended up selling and they were in a mad rush to clear the place out. I offered $150 sight unseen and she took the offer. I had no idea what model they were, what kind of shape they were in, etc...I had to drive a little over an hour, so I was crossing my fingers for a good buy. Low and behold, I opened the gig bags and these beauties were inside! Their friend that met me their for the sale was an older gentleman (70's) when he saw them he said "can't beat that deal with a stick!" I agreed while attempting to hold back my; HELL YEAH face! I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Thats great to hear! I was doing some research on this kit after I picked it up for a steal! I came across a forum where someone was complaining about their older SC kit staying in tune. I really didn't think too much of it since it was only one dudes opinion. Get this....I got this kit in mint condition, with gig bags, hardware, pedal, original Yamaha cymbals, EVERYTHIN, for $150! Some person listed it on Craigslist with a photo of what they "thought it looked like". The girl got these 5 years ago, attempted to learn for a while, got fed up, put them back in their cases, and there they sat! This couple ended up moving out of state and leving some things behind until the house house sold. Well....the house ended up selling and they were in a mad rush to clear the place out. I offered $150 sight unseen and she took the offer. I had no idea what model they were, what kind of shape they were in, etc...I had to drive a little over an hour, so I was crossing my fingers for a good buy. Low and behold, I opened the gig bags and these beauties were inside! Their friend that met me their for the sale was an older gentleman (70's) when he saw them he said "can't beat that deal with a stick!" I agreed while attempting to hold back my; HELL YEAH face! I'll post some pics tonight or tomorrow.

Nicely done! Enjoy them... I've played my SCs for hundreds of gigs and they sound like they ought to cost thousands.

Back