Those with acc/elec hybrid experience

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I am planning to incorporate a few pads in with my acoustic kit for a new tribute band project for perc, and special effects. I was wondering if any of you who have done or do this had any tips, things to avoid, etc. I was thinking of clamping a pad to the cymbal stand in front of my snare and one in the usual second tom position on the bass drum.

Would a pad clamped to a cymbal stand pose a problem or should the crosstalk cancel take care false triggering well enough. I'd be using a TD-6V with a couple of PD-8 and maybe a CY-8.

I don't think it would mis-trigger, but if it did, it would be easy enough to tweak the sensitivity settings to prevent it.

For the pad you intend to install on the cymbal stand, I would not worry too much. The cymbal, being quite loose on the stand, will not transfer too many vibrations to the PAD. However, if this cymbal is a splash (tighter on the stand) then it could become an issue. Something that helps is usage of new and thick felt rings for your cymbals (to isolate the vibrations).

Also, I would not attach the other pad onto the bass drum. The pressure wave created by the kick (great amplitude) will definitely make it up to your pad.

If your pad is submitted to a lot of vibrations and you intend to change the sensitivity, the x-talk and/or the scan time settings of the pad to compensate... then it will be at the expense of dynamic range and/or speed control.

For example, if you render the pad less sensitive, then it decreases its dynamic range. If dynamics are not important (only need pretty well the same volume) then it’s a good solution. The same principle applied to the x-talk and scan time settings for speed control and also to be able to play on 2 pads simultaneously.

I’m a heavy hitter so I personally have to keep my pads on a dedicate stand (I need as much speed control and dynamic range as possible). This way, the default settings of my module (TD-9) work perfectly.

My best advice would be... Do as much experiment as you can before a live show. You will eventually figure out the best setup based on your playing style and for what you need.

Thanks! I'll see how the bass drum thing works out and if not I'll figure out something else.

Back