playing other people's kits

ccsimms

it seems as though playing other kits besides one's own is a commen scenario in the drumming business. if i'm able to adjust the drums and throne height and stuff i'm golden but the factor that hinders me the most is the bass drum pedal. i'm usually not able to do anything fast without my own pedal. is this a bad habit, and is it "unproffesional" if i show up with my own pedal and throne

If I know in advance that I'm playing someone else's drums, I'll show up to the gig with my snare drum, cymbals, sticks, bass drum pedal, and throne. The toms, bass drum, and hardware are the only things that I share with the other drummer. I don't think it's unprofessional to bring your own gear in this situation; however, it is unprofessional to adjust any of the settings on someone else's kit or tune the drums without asking that person.
Lately, I've been playing an open stage on Monday nights, and I'll just bring my snare drum. It all depends on the gig you're playing and the condition of the other person's gear.

If I was sharing my kit with someone else id actually be happy if they brought as much of their own kit as possible. It shows that they have a little respect for your stuff and would feel more comfortable with their own gear.

kick pedals are one of those things you get used to using, and when you use someones else it can really throw you off cause of the different variables that account for the "feel" of the pedal.

If I was sharing my kit with someone else id actually be happy if they brought as much of their own kit as possible. It shows that they have a little respect for your stuff and would feel more comfortable with their own gear.

kick pedals are one of those things you get used to using, and when you use someones else it can really throw you off cause of the different variables that account for the "feel" of the pedal.

I agree. One of my friends whom I jam with is primarily a guitarist/bassist, but he's also a budding drummer. He'll sometimes need to demonstrate the bare beats he comes up with when writing guitar parts (he doesn't know the drum lingo to communicate it verbally) and when he does he brings his own throne and pedal so he's not forced to adjust mine. I'm picky about my setup, so it's a practice I greatly appreciate. :)

I take Cymbals/Pedal/Snare and always have a few extra stands in the car just in case.

Sometimes I'll do practice sessions with my kit setup as if it was someone elses setup, so cymbals and toms at different heights/angles to what i'm used to. If you can practice the "awkward" setup, it allows you to get in the groove quicker when you're using someone elses kit.

i always bring my own pedal, throne and stands (and ofcourse breakables) i dont wanna have to change other peoples stands, pedals or thrones i would rather stay comfortable with mine. also alot of the time i have seen stands with no cymbal savers etc, so no way am i putting my K's on them.
i dont have a problem with lending stands since i have them all marked to my position and i will also lend my throne but i dont allow them to change it. If anyone asked to borrow my pedals i would laugh in their faces. what idiot would turn up to a gig without a pedal?

As someone who has shared my kit on numerous occasions I actually prefer if the other drummers bring their own pedal, snare, and or throne. It also may be a good idea to bring your own cymbals if the situation allows for time to change them out.

As far as tuning the drums or adjusting the angles I prefer drummers who adjust to my set up. Other than raising the height of the snare stand try to play with my angles, etc. To me it just shows professional courtesy.

Also, keep in mind that you are playing someone elses kit, don't beat the crap out of it.
I have had too many other drummers leave my kit with pockmarked heads, totally changed set up (and then I had to readjust for my own performance), etc. and even broken my sticks (without asking to use them).

I have also played on other drummers kits quite often and I never change any setup angles, etc.

If you absolutely need to change something PLEASE ask the providing drummer.

I think it's more professional if you show up with some of your own things.

If I know I can't use my kit, I bring my own sticks and thrown at minimum.
My own cymbals if it makes sense. Once I didn't bring my own snare, and I ended up wishing I had.

I've brought my own pedal if I knew I'd need a double pedal for a specific song and only a single was being provided. If I know the set is only going to be 4 on the floor type stuff, I might not bother with my own pedal.

I have used other people's kits many many times. I always bring my cymbals, snare, an extra stand, bass drum pedal, and throne.

I don't mid using someone's basic kit - but I have to have the other stuff.

The last show I played was a situation where the backline gear was already provided, and we were told to bring cymbals, snare, sticks and pedal. It's one of those things I have learned to deal with over the years and when another drummer is bringing the gear, I definitely get permission to change whatever might be important (Mostly, I tend to leave the rest of the kit alone). There have been a couple of times where I brought my own kit and let other drummers use it for the night simply because I had better gear (blue/green Ludwigs vs. cheap Slingys with bad heads. No contest.)

The other element at work here is the fact that no matter how extreme my setup, it still revolves around that basic 4 or 5-pc. "core", so I can adapt without much fuss.

I never, ever, ever play someone else's kit at a gig or session. In any other context, I'm happy to try anything and happy to have others try my kit. I just won't play someone else's kit when a performance is expected & I certainly won't let someone beat the crap out of my gear. If playing a provided kit is a condition of the gig, I don't do the gig, period! I have the luxury of picking the gigs I want to play as drumming is no longer my living. I fully understand the necessity to be very flexible when it's the difference between earning or not. I had to be that way in the past but had many bad experiences as a result.

I've always fancied that I can extract something ok out of an instrument, even a rotten kit. But I play better on my own kit, no doubt. It's like being a guitarist who suddenly has to produce the goods on a mandolin or ukelele or 12-string.

Since a drum kit isn't just one instrument but many, playing a different kit is essentially playing a related, but different, instrument. I'm with Mikecore, if you have your own cymbals, snare, sticks and pedal it feels a lot more like home.

Last edited:
I love showing up and not knowing what sort of kit i'm going to be playing (if there is a kit being provided) I use a standard 5 piece set up most of the time but i prefer 6 pieces. I always take my pedal, throne, cymbals and sometimes a stand or 2, there's nothing unprofessional about this, you don't see a guitarist borrowing someone elses guitar, it's usually just the amps. Mind you it can have disastrous consequences on your playing. Once i turned up to a gig with my usual stuff and realised that the guys kit was a four piece with the tom on a snare stand and no bass drum connector for it. My pedal didn't allow room for the tom to be positioned the way i wanted so i was screwed, i did the gig but with a complete lack of tom fills. However another time i did a gig with a 4 piece with the tom mounted to the bass drum and it was awesome playing a setup i wasn't used to that made my playing more creative. There's nothing worse than being uncomfortable with someone elses gear so i think it is just better to take your own!

I usually like to bring my own throne, maybe a cymbal or two, sticks, and maybe my pedal. I did however, become very salty after using a house kit for a show once. The double pedal fell apart while I was playing and I had to use the left pedal for the rest of our set. I was also getting some serious bass drum creep.

I hate playing other peoples kits.

HATE IT.

Just the other night, I was doing a freebie gig, playing drummer to a backing band for a harmonica club. There was a Sonor Force 3007 kit there. No one told me there was a house kit available. It was all taped up and crap.
The soundman wanted me to use it because it had 4 mics on it.
I agreed, but 5 minutes into rearranging it (it was set up for a leftie), I said F it, I'm doing this for free anyway, I want to play my beautiful DW's. So I moved the house kit to the side and used my own. More work, but man I LOVE my drums. And my own configuration. Totally worth it. Afterward, I moved the house kit back to where it was, and remiced it. Plus there's no way I'm leaving my 9000.00 set of drums in my van while I'm playing.

KIS, you crack me up, you NEVER EVER play someone elses kit. I hear ya brother. Gotta lay down the law!

Minimum I'll bring to a gig is my throne, snare, cymbals, tambourine & clamp, kick pedal and sticks. I keep a few odds and ends in the pedal case as an emergency kit of sorts, I can usually make just about anything work.

Sure, I prefer my kit when I can, but I can take all of the above with me on transit (without too much hassle) if need be.

I do kinda enjoy not knowing what I'll be getting into kit wise when it's provided, a little adventure in trying out different gear. My horror stories about playing bad kits are few, necessity can truly be the mother of invention. My multi-tool comes in handy sometimes.

Back