My Jewish cymbal (Wuhan Custom China)

TheAnalogKid

Greetings,

I've posted on these boards for awhile, but I wanted to post this cymbal, because I think it looks and sounds amazing. Awhile back, my friend Kevin Alcombrack custom cut a regular Wuhan cymbal. The process went a little something like this:

1. Kevin posted this video on YouTube about his custom-cut O-Zone Wuhan Cymbals.
2. I saw said video and was in awe of how good his 18" Wuhan China sounded with these cuts.
3. I contacted Kevin asking him how cut his cymbal, and what would cost to provide this service.
4. I purchased a brand-new, but cheap 20" Wuhan China from eBay and had it shipped to him.
5. I paid him for his services
6. He cut and polished the cymbal and shipped it back to me.
7. I now own an amazing-looking and sounding cymbal that I will be able to use for years.

I couldn't be happier overall with the result. Not only does it not sound like any other cymbal, but if you look at the way Zildjian, Sabian, and Meinl puts holes in their cymbals, no one uses a pattern quite like this.

There is a couple scrapes on the cymbal (flesh wounds in the war of sound) but again, nothing that would hinder the overall look and sound. I haven't had much of a chance to use it in my practices or play a gig with it, but I know it's gonna blow people away.

I'm going on vacation, so it'll be a bit before I have a chance to post some sound samples or a video, but I'll leave you in anticipation with some pictures....

If you are interested in owning one of these babies, or would like Kevin to make one for you, you can contact him via his myspace or facebook. I'm sure you can also email him. If you have any questions for me, feel free to reply to this thread.

Pictures --

Hopefully sound samples and video to follow... Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with the 18" Wuhan (why I sold mine) is that it's gongy because of the deeper bowl. Have you heard an 18" version of this, and if so, did it make it more trashy sounding?

Looks cool, although you could probably do this yourself? From the pictures looks like he's got a hole cutter on a drill and made holes in star shape.

I've got an old 17" A custom that I've cracked and subsequently drilled, thinking I might give this a go as an experiment.

oh i get it its the star of david. sweeeet

The first time I saw it, I said "Yep, it's a Jewish cymbal now.

Looks cool, although you could probably do this yourself? From the pictures looks like he's got a hole cutter on a drill and made holes in star shape.

I've got an old 17" A custom that I've cracked and subsequently drilled, thinking I might give this a go as an experiment.

You can definitely do it yourself if you have the tools and know-how. I'm not good at that stuff.

My biggest complaint with the 18" Wuhan (why I sold mine) is that it's gongy because of the deeper bowl. Have you heard an 18" version of this, and if so, did it make it more trashy sounding?

If you check out the video, Kevin actually has the 18" version. I heard his and thought it would work better with the 20" because it doesn't cut out all the decay. Still definitely trashy, though. I wouldn't mind having one of each on my kit.

EPIC MAN! I would sure love me one of them. Congratulations! :)

Thanks man. It's definitely a sweet cymbal. If I could make these, I'd buy a full set of Wuhans and make myself a Bruford-esque cymbal tree.

Back