John Bonham R.I.P.

S

Spiritinthesky

25th Sept 1980, John Bonham, drummer with Led Zeppelin, died aged 32 after a heavy drinking session. ‘Bonzo’ was found dead at guitarists Jimmy Page's house of what was described as asphyxiation, after inhaling his own vomit after excessive vodka consumption, (40 shots in 4 hours). During live sets his drum solo, ‘Moby Dick,’ would often last for half an hour and regularly featured his use of his bare hands.

Read more at http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/pages/john_bonham

So this year he will have been dead for longer than he was alive, and he still continues to influence new drummers every day.

RIP Bonzo!

Even though we never met, you taught me how to hit. Rest in peace.

n38ynd.jpg

I was fortunate to see John Bonham (and Led Zeppelin) three times in the early 70s -- one concert after each of their first three albums.

Always a highlight of their show, Bonham not only provided entertaining solos, but he and Jones had a hard groove that was fun to watch.

My first drum hero.

As the years go by, it becomes increasingly clear how he was many years ahead of his time.

I saw an interview with his son Jason recently who revealed Bonham Snr was 16 when he got his first drum kit - and had only been playing four years when he recorded the monumental Led Zep I, aged 20.

Legend...

One of my major influences to this day. He is and always will be an icon IMO. RIP Bonzo.

Not a fan of how he and other talented musicians died but nonetheless a huge player. I dissed him while I was a kid, thinking fast drumming (Peart) meant better. Was I wrong. Bonham had a better 'sound' too. Thanks to Ludwig.

He's the first name that comes to your lips when the question "who was the greatest rock drummer of all time?" is asked. He found that illusive combination of feel, sound and chops that implanted itself into drummers and would be drummers everywhere. The coolest of grooves, the most identifiable drum sound...he was the best IMO. Sure wish he was still around to hear him play now and to pick his brain about his playing and his sound.

I just got the Led out in his memory. A station here in L.A. (more then likey other cities too) plays Zeppelin every night at 7pm and I had to play along. Bonham is my biggest influence and the reason I started playing (even had a 26" bass drum as a kid). RIP great one. :)

what can i say that hasn't already been said.

instead, here's my bonham related story.

i used to work for the former ludwig artist rep. around the mid 90's my boss tells me we're going to recieve one of bonham's kits to referbish for a charity auction.

i was of course excited to get the kit, and i was the one who would of cleaned and/or repaired anything that needed to be (i did this for some of karen carpenter's kits)
this would be the closest i would be to anything bonham (til i met jimmy page in 98)

a large crate showed up and i hauled it to the back room. this is were it gets weird (drummers would understand this) we grab some crowbars and pop the lid. it was a strage feeling, but i felt like bonham's ora was coming out of the crate (like in raider's of the lost ark when they open the ark of the coven)

we stood there just looking at the kit, in what seemed like a solid 5 minutes. not saying a word. maybe it just seemed that long, but this was something mega cool.

we take it out of the crate and i start cleaning it. it really didn't need to be cleaned. it was not rusty or damaged, i don't recall anything being repaired or replaced. i just remember it didn't take me very long.

the kit was one of his stainless steel "B" kits, not a tour kit.

a vintage pair of premier drum sticks were inside and my old boss kept those (i'm sure he asked for something if possible ahead of time and that's what he got)

i wish i remembered more bit it was a long time ago. but as a drummer and "bonham head" myself, its something i will always remember.

Attachments

• bonzo.JPG
    bonzo.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 408
this is were it gets weird (drummers would understand this) we grab some crowbars and pop the lid. it was a strage feeling, but i felt like bonham's ora was coming out of the crate (like in raider's of the lost ark when they open the ark of the coven)

we stood there just looking at the kit, in what seemed like a solid 5 minutes. not saying a word. maybe it just seemed that long, but this was something mega cool.

Fun story, Fish. A buzz to mess with a top drummer's kit, especially Bonzo's, given with his rep for sound. Love that Jeff Oaktree(?) video about his heads and tuning. As he said, with that big deep sound you wouldn't have expected him to be cranking his batters.

Thinking your cosmic experience was either testimony to the power of creative imagination, a sad indictment on the store's no-stuff-at-work policy or you got a whiff of Bonzo's Jack Daniels. Kiss my aura, Dora - it's real angora :)

The first time I saw Bonzo and his band Led something,was at the NY State Pavillion,in the old world's fair grounds,summer of 69.It was general admission and cost 3.50 US,for 3 bands.For those familiar with the movie,"Men in Black",those buildings that turn into a space ship at the end of the movie, are the upper deck of the NY State Pavillion.The concerts were held on the ground level deck.

Anyway,there are NO seats,so you either stand or sit on the floor.I stood right below the stage,resting my elbows on the stage and watched in awe of the force of nature that I was witness to.

I was fortunate enough to see Bonham and his band 5 more times,in various other venues like the Fillmore East and Madison Square Garden,but the very first time was the most memorable.

The guy was fearless,in that he always gave 110%,and tried to play things on the spot,without working out the fill in advance.He didn't always make it as some vintage Zep tapes will attest to. He didn't play it safe,not did he try to achieve perfection.Something young bands,producers and drummers should take note of.

RIP John Henry.You're still showing some of us who would listen,how it's done.:)

Steve B

Back