Which Pads Feel Most Like Real Drums?

Hi folks!
My first post here...
I am in a similar situation, wondering to purchase a DTX kit, and this setup is probably the one I would choose too! What was the price for that configuration? (is that something that is allowed to ask here?)
I am from Brazil, but will be traveling to USA in October so I would purchase by then...
One question about the module, is there any sound difference between the DTX500 and the DTX700? I understand that the 700 has sample recording and a bunch of other features, but for the built in sounds that are common to both is my question...

I play an acoustic Gretsch set live and to practice and have fun in my apartment I have one Roland HD3 little kit, that I enjoy to use as a midi controller with VSTs. The space I have is very small. The reason that I would exchange it is the pad feel, 3 zone snare and cymbals...

Thank you in advance!
Best regards and good drumming!!!

Then why are you reading threads in an electronic drum section? I am sure I can rack up more practice hours in a week than you can. I can play at all hours of the night or day without disturbing neighbors. Most drummers cannot do that unless they have a sound isolation room. While you sit on the couch air drumming or playing on a practice pad listening to tap, tap, tap, I am playing on a full drum set that is a 95% replication of my acoustic kit and hearing actual drums that are recorded in some of the best studios around the world. I have a plethora of cymbals, toms, snares, hats, etc to choose from companies like DW, Gretch, Tama, Ludwig, Slingerland, Noble N Coley, Rogers, Sonar, Pearl, Yamaha, Zildjian, Paiste, Sabian, etc. All in vintage and modern flavors. And then, when I feel like it, I can walk out to the garage and play my acoustic kit. Electronic drums are not what you think they are anymore. Synthesizer sounds from a small, toy looking kit with plastic pad days are long gone. Your the one missing out but thanks for stopping by. How is that practice pad sounding? Just like it did yesterday, right? I have not had a drummer yet that that has sat down behind my kit while triggering Superior Drummer and not had have a huge grin on their face. Most of the time, I have to kick them off the set, or they would try to move in to my house.... LOL I can also record my playing so I can better critique my performance, I can use software to show if I am in front or behind the beat live, I can measure the dynamics of my strokes, etc etc. Electronic drums can and will make you a better drummer. Its all about practice and the more practice the better. Granted, ekits are not a replacement for acoustic drums. I still prefer the feel of acoustics better, but I would never, never, never be without an ekit......EVER!

Chris
Preach it, brother!! Couldn't agree more

AND.... the end result of the info given to me by the kind folks on this thread discussion (thanks guys, i love my kit)!

Attachments

• IMG_1356 copy.jpg
    IMG_1356 copy.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 658
Hi folks!
My first post here...
I am in a similar situation, wondering to purchase a DTX kit, and this setup is probably the one I would choose too! What was the price for that configuration? (is that something that is allowed to ask here?)
I am from Brazil, but will be traveling to USA in October so I would purchase by then...
One question about the module, is there any sound difference between the DTX500 and the DTX700? I understand that the 700 has sample recording and a bunch of other features, but for the built in sounds that are common to both is my question...

I play an acoustic Gretsch set live and to practice and have fun in my apartment I have one Roland HD3 little kit, that I enjoy to use as a midi controller with VSTs. The space I have is very small. The reason that I would exchange it is the pad feel, 3 zone snare and cymbals...

Thank you in advance!
Best regards and good drumming!!!

If you go to download.yamaha.com ... you can get all the manuals there.

From what I can tell the 700 module allows you to import sounds and assign a voice of a pad to that sound.

The 500 does give a MIDI out, so I am thinking that if you wanted to play a different sound on a 500 for a given voice on a pad, you could, but you would need some sort of external computer and "other stuff" to make that happen.

With the 700, you could import your sound, and it is stored in the module itself. I don't think the 700 can really "sample". The 900 module has dedicated sampling functionality combined with RAM (DIMM) upgrades allows you to sample directly to the 900. With the 700, you have to get your sample first outside of the 700, and then upload that sample to the 700.

I don't think the 500 allows you to substitute external voices. It appears you can tweak the heck out of a given sound (decay, reverb, fade, velocity, ...) and reassign voices from kit to kit; but, you are locked to the sounds that are in the 500.

This is all looking at the manuals and ... guessing ;) Good luck!

AND.... the end result of the info given to me by the kind folks on this thread discussion (thanks guys, i love my kit)!

Wow, with the extreme height differences great distances and flat angles, it must be extremely difficult to play patterns between the pads with a setup like that. Have you tried setting up with a close and related angled array of playing surfaces, so you can more easily play any surface at any time?

Back