Aquiles Priester of Angra has good taste! :)

S

sticks4drums

One of my favourite drummers is Aquiles Priester from the metal band Angra. I don't love a lot of the bands music, but I love his playing. I was surfing the web today and got some pics of his new kit. Recognize it. :)

Image1.jpg

Image.jpg

I believe those shot are from last years Modern Drummer festival.

So new-ish, but not brand new.

But, yeah, nice color. I swear I've seen that color elsewhere on this forum. ;-) heh

I believe those shot are from last years Modern Drummer festival.

So new-ish, but not brand new.

But, yeah, nice color. I swear I've seen that color elsewhere on this forum. ;-) heh
It's funny but I saw those pics a while back and did not even think about them when I saw my new kit in the store. It wasn't until today when I saw them again that I realized it was the same kit. He is a great drummer.

Sticks you're getting too predictable. What else could it be?

Sticks you're getting too predictable. What else could it be?
Not just the same brand but the same model and colour. How exciting. :) Come on I have a boring life. I need these little things to brighten it up. :)

It's slightly bigger than yours. Guess you'll need to do something about that ;)
Funny thing is I built my Monster kit, and then I found out about him and saw that he has almost the same tom set up as me. Great drummers think a like I guess. :)

One of my favourite drummers is Aquiles Priester from the metal band Angra. I don't love a lot of the bands music, but I love his playing. I was surfing the web today and got some pics of his new kit. Recognize it. :)

Aquiles has probably watch the "tour video" of your monster kit that's why he's got that kit... :))

Very similar styles though. :) I guess that is the drumming I like.

...mmmm... You're talking about Neil Peart?.. I don't wanna hurt you Sticks.. I respect Mr. Peart, a lot... but I think he would have a real hard time trying to play Priester's drum parts..

I have Priester's dvd "Inside my drums", which is rather old... and dear Lord.. it seems like the guy has 4 brains. His independence is just from another planet. And of course add to that lots of taste, creativity, power, endurance and lightning speed.

Oh, and by the way, I'm pretty sure his last kit is a Meridian Maple.

001.jpg

http://www.aquilespriester.com/port/setup.html

The Saturn looks better, though. I give you that. :)

Cheers!

...mmmm... You're talking about Neil Peart?.. I don't wanna hurt you Sticks.. I respect Mr. Peart, a lot... but I think he would have a real hard time trying to play Priester's drum parts..

I have Priester's dvd "Inside my drums", which is rather old... and dear Lord.. it seems like the guy has 4 brains. His independence is just from another planet. And of course add to that lots of taste, creativity, power, endurance and lightning speed.

Oh, and by the way, I'm pretty sure his last kit is a Meridian Maple.

001.jpg

http://www.aquilespriester.com/port/setup.html

The Saturn looks better, though. I give you that. :)

Cheers!
As you saw. Aquiles had a hard time with Mike Portnoys stuff. Everyone has there strengths and weaknesses. That meridian is an older one. He uses a different kit almost every year.

If he had more time to play with the band, and wasn't nervous, he would smash Portnoy's drum parts ten times to Sunday. There's a heck of a lot of technical parts in Hangar/Angra/Freakeys stuff that's at least on par with DT stuff.

I personally think Priester's double kick technique is better than a LOT of drummers. If you've seen any of the videos on yt from his 'Infallible reason of my freak drumming' DVD show some pretty hectic drum parts. The only problem is that he is too deadpan while playing. Needs more emotions, imho.

Speaking of Priester...

Does anyone have some recommendations of good songs he's played on?

I really like his style of drumming, but musically, the clips I've found online always come off as too much of a re-hash of Dream Theater and Metallica songs. And I keep thinking, well..maybe I'm just listening to the wrong clips...

Thoughts?

I like watching his solo stuff on youtube. Not a huge fan of the band Hangar that he is in. If I come across some good ones I will let you know.

Back