Considering Huge Bass Drum Port

jdrummys

I decided to remove the front head from my Ludwig Epic 14 x 24, and the best way I could describe it is that it SLAMS now. Yes, it did lose a lot of that low frequency, but for some reason I feel the drum more now. For asthetic reasons, I am thinking about getting one of those 9 in. Remo Dynamos, because I heard a hole that big is like having no front head. I suggest anyone who is not pleased with their bass sound give this a try...just to see what you think.

I decided to remove the front head from my Ludwig Epic 14 x 24, and the best way I could describe it is that it SLAMS now. Yes, it did lose a lot of that low frequency, but for some reason I feel the drum more now. For asthetic reasons, I am thinking about getting one of those 9 in. Remo Dynamos, because I heard a hole that big is like having no front head. I suggest anyone who is not pleased with their bass sound give this a try...just to see what you think.

With correct heads and tuning, I think single-headed drums can sound awesome.

You can try it and change back to a smaller port later if you ultimately decide you don't like it. One piece of advice though:

If you ever leave the front head off, lock the tension rods and hoops in a safe. They are like auto parts or household hardware. They will get legs and walk away.

Back