Do I also tune - retune reso head with batter head change?

BigDinSD

Gold Member
Hey all,

I am just changing the batter heads on my snare and 10" floating tom. This is my 1st head change from the stock DW heads.

Would you suggest also tuning the reso head as well? Can I just throw on the batter, tune that and go?

Which head would be tuned 1st? (if both need tuning)

I originally used Bob Gatzen's tuning tips (very informative) after getting my set, but some additonal feedback would be very helpful. As always - Thanks!!!

If it needs to be tuned then yes, tune it up. When changing batters, I'll always check the reso's as well. If they need a total re-tune then I'll do that, if they just need a tweak then that's all I do.

As a general rule I tune my batters first. I can think of times where I've started on the reso's, but generally speaking, batters come first. This varies from player to player though. Check some of the tuning threads here on DW,,,,,you'll see that it's a case of "to each his own" on this one.

I recommend starting from finger tight with both heads any time you put a new head on. It's a good fresh starting point. From personal experience, I always recommend tuning up to the tension you want, never directly down. Starting from scratch helps with this.

Enjoy the new heads!

If it needs to be tuned then yes, tune it up. When changing batters, I'll always check the reso's as well. If they need a total re-tune then I'll do that, if they just need a tweak then that's all I do.

As a general rule I tune my batters first. I can think of times where I've started on the reso's, but generally speaking, batters come first. This varies from player to player though. Check some of the tuning threads here on DW,,,,,you'll see that it's a case of "to each his own" on this one.

Thanks...makes sense! Was just trying to maybe save some time since the last head sounded nice. But now I have a new one - EXCITING!

I recommend starting from finger tight with both heads any time you put a new head on. It's a good fresh starting point. From personal experience, I always recommend tuning up to the tension you want, never directly down. Starting from scratch helps with this.

Enjoy the new heads!

Hey - Thanks Mr. Evans! This will definitely help.

Back