DW 5000 Refurb..

IceMonster

Hi Everyone, Hope you are all well.

I'm just stopping by to see if anyone has any previous experiences with refurbishing pedals. I've had a DW 5002 2nd/3rd-gen single-chain pedal for about 10 years. The pedal is possibly twice that age, and over that amount of time especially with 400-odd gigs under its belt, its starting to get a little tired.

The master is still going strong but the slave is almost un-useable now. The lag and lack of response on the slave is massive, and very off putting and hard to play. I'm hardly blessed with copious amounts of cash so the SpeedCobra is out of my reach at the moment so my friend at the drum shop recommended that I get the parts and refurb it myself.

Now I think the bearings have gone (started to sieze) in the slave post, maybe even in the slave-side of the master. My friend said that skateboard bearings are the bee's knees for DW pedals so to cut the story short, has anyone else put skateboard bearings into their pedals?? And would it free-up (plus a new spring) an ageing kick pedal??

Thanks in advance. IM

Hi Everyone, Hope you are all well.

I'm just stopping by to see if anyone has any previous experiences with refurbishing pedals. I've had a DW 5002 2nd/3rd-gen single-chain pedal for about 10 years. The pedal is possibly twice that age, and over that amount of time especially with 400-odd gigs under its belt, its starting to get a little tired.

The master is still going strong but the slave is almost un-useable now. The lag and lack of response on the slave is massive, and very off putting and hard to play. I'm hardly blessed with copious amounts of cash so the SpeedCobra is out of my reach at the moment so my friend at the drum shop recommended that I get the parts and refurb it myself.

Now I think the bearings have gone (started to sieze) in the slave post, maybe even in the slave-side of the master. My friend said that skateboard bearings are the bee's knees for DW pedals so to cut the story short, has anyone else put skateboard bearings into their pedals?? And would it free-up (plus a new spring) an ageing kick pedal??

Thanks in advance. IM

Replacing bearings will make your pedal play like new, Look for other signs of wear, sprocket, rear hinge etc.

I would first prescribe you rinse-out the existing bearings with a strong aerosol metal parts cleaner, or you could remove them and soak for a day in solvent. Then lube...cheaper.

Tho new bearings are only like $5-7 a piece.

Back