Is This A Good Idea?

This may sound quite creative or really weird, but it's an idea that my band mates want to do to my bass drum that they did to their previous drummers bass drum. So their idea is to get a clear skin with a mic hole for the front head with the band's name or logo and inside they're planning on putting one of those fake flames made out of some sort of cloth if you know what I'm talking about. Now to me that sounds really kick ass but a friend of mine was thinking that the heat from the lights could change the sound of the bass drum. So what do you think?

I've seen lights in bass drums before, just make sure it's not too stupidly hot that it warps the wood, and be prepared to re-tune your heads more often.

That sounds like a really jive idea to me. I wouldn't put anything in any of my drums.
If the band's playing its ass off nobody's going to care whether or not there's anything in the bass drum. Seems pretty cheesy, fake fire in a bass drum.
What are people supposed to do, say "Oh cool. Look, the drummer's got fake fire in his bass drum. I really like this band!"
Jive. Completely jive.

That sounds like a really jive idea to me. I wouldn't put anything in any of my drums.
If the band's playing its ass off nobody's going to care whether or not there's anything in the bass drum. Seems pretty cheesy, fake fire in a bass drum.
What are people supposed to do, say "Oh cool. Look, the drummer's got fake fire in his bass drum. I really like this band!"
Jive. Completely jive.

true, thats definetly true. I guess its just a visual for the band, we're not really expecting anyone to think that we're a really kick ass band all because of a fake flame in the bass drum lol.

true, thats definetly true. I guess its just a visual for the band, we're not really expecting anyone to think that we're a really kick ass band all because of a fake flame in the bass drum lol.

If it makes you feel any better, I'd think of that if I ever saw you guys

I personally wouldn't do it, BUT it won't change your sound much if any. The band I took over the drum seat for in 1992 used to do it when they first started out, Not flames but the bands logo cut out and suspended inside the bass drum with a clear reso head on front, looked ok.

personally, I am thinking that is kind of lame...I would rather have a reso head done up with the band name on it than doing something like that.

Yeah I think it is a bit lame too.....although for a promo pic it would be cool. Let the guitarists put flames and crap on their equipment....they are show offs anyways. Us drummers are too cool for that.

Why don't you put a bee hive in it? Close the bassdrum, no mic hole, and let them bzzz through your drum while you're hitting it. And release them at the end of the show. That would be publicity :p.

If you were playing a battle of the bands (or a similar situation where you would be playing a one-song set), it COULD be cool, maybe.

On the other hand, if you have a fake cloth fire in your bass drum for an entire 45 minute set (or God forbid a 4-hour bar gig), it would lose it's "cool" factor after about 2 or 3 songs.

Maybe get a roadie to turn it on during a drum solo? That's (in my opinion) the least-tacky way to do it.

Still, a gimmick is a gimmick. When people think of you as a drummer, do you want them to think "cloth bass drum fire"? I hope not.

Just my $0.02.

Why don't you put a bee hive in it? Close the bassdrum, no mic hole, and let them bzzz through your drum while you're hitting it. And release them at the end of the show. That would be publicity :p.

Or, set them ON FIRE and release them at the end of the show...

I have seen this done many times when I lived in L.A. Honestly, it looks really neat.. but only if you have a stage set up that calls for it. It doesn't look good by itself with nothing else to help visually. Maybe if you have 2 others, one on each side of you. The drummer from Chevelle did something close to that. I think that it might affect the sound a tad.. but you can just try it to see what it does. It doesn't hurt to try and see what people think. You can buy good fake flames at Spencers Gifts or a Costume shop for fairly cheap.

Back