New Pedal Day - Yamaha DFP9500d

wildbill

Platinum Member
I bought an old, cheap double pedal a little over a year ago. Didn't want to pay too much for it because I wasn't sure I'd like it.

I usually use a single pedal, and have just been practicing with a double for fun. I got a Yamaha direct drive 9500 single pedal around the beginning of the year, and have been really impressed with it.

It's the first direct drive pedal I've had - used strap drive for a long time, and have had several chain single pedals too. Don't know now why I waited so long to try a direct drive. They're perfect for the way I play.

I like it so much I started thinking about getting the double version of it.
One thing leads to another, and now I've got it - LOL. New pedal day - ha ha.

Just put it together to take a pic and give it a quick spin. I've still got to fine tune it, but I know for sure it's going to work good for me.

Last edited:
Oh man, I am jelly wildbill! I reeeally want to try the Mapex Raptor some day just to see how DD pedals are. I may look for one used just to goof with for a while to see if I like it or maybe GC will let me rent one or something.

They look awesome man, congrats and enjoy!

NICE !! i am jealous as heck. i have the same model single strap drive [ FP8500B ] & love it. i think the best pedals yamaha had produced since 1990s. really been thinking about a yamie double to replace my old pearl. how does the direct drive compare to the strap version ?

... how does the direct drive compare to the strap version ?

I can't really say. I haven't tried the new belt version, and the one that I have is an antique - LOL
It worked OK for learning on though. It's pretty smooth and there's not much slop considering its age.
The foot boards are longer than what you find on most new stuff too.

Last edited:
Good deal! I don't play a double pedal but I have the 9500D single pedal and I love its responsiveness. I'm sure you'll enjoy the double!

These are cool pedals... after selling off my demon drive I sort of swore off direct drive but I have played these before and there wasn't anything awkward about them at all. The smooth footboard is a big plus too.

Congrats on the new pedals, wildbill! I find it crazy that the Yamaha stores where I live don't stock any of their pedals, I would love to try them out.

I can see where a direct drive might have different responsiveness*** than a chain drive, but you'd still have the problem of the cam profile, in that it wouldn't be much different than a Speed King profile... it's obtrusiveness prevents the pedal from being mounted close enough to the BD head to allow the beater to hit parallel to the head surface. And in an attempt to get it close enough, you find the cam hitting the BD and wearing a hole into it.

Or is the cam profile on the Yamaha pedal smaller, making this a moot point?? (since I've never owned a Yamaha pedal)

*** actually after some thought, I can't see why there would be any difference as compared to a chain type, since there's no upward force coming from the footboard after beater/head contact. The only thing I can think of would be if the user played with a style of lifting the foot off the pedal, in which case, forward beater force would translate through the link to help push the footboard back down... actually that would apply even if they kept contact with the footboard)

Edit: Actually it makes sense that a direct drive pedal would have better acceleration on successive hits, eg in doubles and fast singles, which would explain why I always had good clean doubles when I played my Speed King, vs the chain drive DW9000 I play now. The forward beater energy at the start of the second stroke is helping force the footboard down, through the direct drive link.

Last edited:
Nice pedals wildbill!

I recently picked up the single version of this pedal and I'm really digging it. I'm still experimenting with beaters (I actually haven't yet tried the stock beater that comes with it) but it has quickly become my "go-to."

Sorry...I don't mean to hijack this thread but...I recently purchased the DFP-9500C pedal and I can't seem to get my metric Allen wrenches to loosen the Allen screws on the pedal (they just don't fit, no matter what size I use). Also, how do you access the hex bolts that hold the bearings in place on the side of the pedal frame? They're recessed.

I have some high-performance Bones skate bearings that I'd like to install. I've performed this mod on other pedals in the past with great results.

Thanks!

Paradiddlediddle666

Hopefully, someone with pedals like yours will chime in. Mine are different and the only allen screws are the ones for the drive links. they're small - 3mm. Most everything else uses a drum key.
You'll need a thin walled socket for the shaft nut. Regular sockets are probably too fat to fit in the space.

Hopefully, someone with pedals like yours will chime in. Mine are different and the only allen screws are the ones for the drive links. they're small - 3mm. Most everything else uses a drum key.
You'll need a thin walled socket for the shaft nut. Regular sockets are probably too fat to fit in the space.

What really stumps me is how to access the bolts on the side of the frame tower (where the bearings are housed) that holds the axle in place. They're recessed.

Back